shape
carat
color
clarity

GIRDLE THICKNESS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cluelesscushion

Rough_Rock
I have found a PERFECT diamond after a long search. HOWEVER, there is one thing that is making me a tad hesitant on pulling the trigger. And I am getting conflicting opinions. And it has to do with girdle thickness. The guy selling me the diamond tells me he has analyzed teh diamond and that I should not be concerned about the thin girdle. It is only thin in a very small area. The GIA cert. says it is very thin - thick (faceted). Thoughts?

Here are the rest of the specs of the diamond

Cushion Brilliant
H - VS2
1.53 carats
L/W ratio (1.05)
table - 58%
depth - 68.9%
polish - excellent
symmetry - VG
flourescence - none

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2008 10:58:07 AM
Author:Cluelesscushion
I have found a PERFECT diamond after a long search. HOWEVER, there is one thing that is making me a tad hesitant on pulling the trigger. And I am getting conflicting opinions. And it has to do with girdle thickness. The guy selling me the diamond tells me he has analyzed teh diamond and that I should not be concerned about the thin girdle. It is only thin in a very small area. The GIA cert. says it is very thin - thick (faceted). Thoughts?

Here are the rest of the specs of the diamond

Cushion Brilliant
H - VS2
1.53 carats
L/W ratio (1.05)
table - 58%
depth - 68.9%
polish - excellent
symmetry - VG
flourescence - none
It depends, if it is thin in one small area which isn't vulnerable, then it could well be fine...I would see if you can get an impartial professional opinion on the girdle to give you peace of mind - here is an appraiser list you can use to find an expert in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very thin is not necessarily an alarming thing. Having said that, do you know which area of the girdle is very thin? Also, how you plan on setting the diamond? If will be set in a bezel, or a halo, or any other setting type in which the diamond will be protected somewhat by some metal surrounding it, I would not worry.

Cluelesscushion

Rough_Rock
I am waiting to find out which area has the "very thin" girdle. I am a bit concerned about it b/c it will be in a delicate 4 prong setting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2008 1:48:13 PM
Author: Cluelesscushion
I am waiting to find out which area has the 'very thin' girdle. I am a bit concerned about it b/c it will be in a delicate 4 prong setting.
It may not be an issue, but it is best to find out as much info as you can as it could be that the very thin part is only in the microns and not in an area where it could make much difference, or it could go the other way - so ask the seller or an ind. appraiser. However any diamond can chip or break regardless, so make sure whatever you do that you have insurance which covers you against breakage/ damage.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a rb stone with a thin girdle in a 4 prong setting with a lot of the diamond exposed. I chipped the girdle within 6 months. Thankfully it was insured, and I replaced it with a stone with a medium/slightly thick girdle - and I changed my setting too. I''m a horrible clutz, and I didn''t want to worry about chipping another stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2008 2:20:30 PM
Author: deegee
I had a rb stone with a thin girdle in a 4 prong setting with a lot of the diamond exposed. I chipped the girdle within 6 months. Thankfully it was insured, and I replaced it with a stone with a medium/slightly thick girdle - and I changed my setting too. I''m a horrible clutz, and I didn''t want to worry about chipping another stone.
Sounds like you were very unlucky dee, and with a round too, what a pity....Was the girdle thin or very thin in part?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also recommend getting the stone independently appraised. It''s rare (and unfortunate), but girdle chips do happen. To ward against this (with any stone) I advise getting a separate insurance policy for this ring. I think this is something everyone should have for their expensive jewelry. I''ve already used mine once and I''m so glad I had a great policy. Jewelers mutual, chubb, and touchstone are the big names in jewelry insurance.

Cluelesscushion

Rough_Rock
It will be set in a delicate 4-prong setting (imitation of memoire shared prong mounting). the seller promises it is just a smaller area on the top and end of one side that could really be classified as "thin" as opposed to "very thin." I think it will be okay.....as long as my GF is not a big clutz!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just be sure to get it insured! Without insurance, I would have had my chipped stone recut and it would have lost a little size. With insurance, I was able to replace it with a new stone of equal value. Insurance is wonderful for peace of mind!!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I echo the advice to get it independently appraised (by a true independent appraiser, not someone who sells jewelry)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results