shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle size/idealscope?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been looking at some IS pictures of diamonds...as long as the IS pictures look good, does the girdle size matter? I believe med. girdle is a good range in which to stay....I hate that some of the diamonds have very thin to thick and end up with medium.....go figure...can''t this be ironed out if ther is new cut grading? If I see medium girdle on cert., I USED to expect medium girdle all the way around...
Anyway, which is best? (I know not very thin re: chipping.)

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Very thin, if not at or near the corner of a Princess cut, AND if it represents only a very small area of the girdle, is probably OK - in these cases potential problems can be avoided for setting, but there is still the everyday wear liability...to slightly thick, again if not occupying too much area.

Medium all around would be my "Goldilocks" girdle...
30.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not until the girdle gets extremely thick will you see much drop off in ideal-scope image. So you can get little or no info about the girdle from an ideal-scope photo.

It has been noted recently that some labs use averages - it is not really common - GIA willl call a stone like this 1.06ct one shown here was given GIA Thin to Slightly Thick which seems quite fair and reasonable.

thin2SlightlyThick.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
So as long as the idealscope image looks ok, the girdle is an ok size for the rest of the diamond''s parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results