shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle reflection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I got my diamond appraised and set yesterday (more on the specs later), but when I got home I couldn't help but notice a line about 2/3 of the way down inside the diamond. After a few seconds of freaking out, I figured this must be some kind of reflection, and sure enough, searching threads has me 99.9% sure this is some sort of girdle reflection (the diamond is VS1). A few questions. First, I uploaded a few grainy pics onto Ofoto.com (how do you take good pics of a diamond with a digital camera and a loupe? -- it is so hard). Can somebody please confirm this is definitely a girdle reflection (link to album below)? I'm referring to the small line 2/3 of the way down the diamond.

Second, should the diamond be set a different way to avoid this? Can it be set a different way to avoid this? Is it anything to be concerned about? What causes it? Does the existence of a girdle reflection -- or perhaps the propensity of a diamond to have a girdle reflection in most settings -- in any way impugn the quality (clarity, polish, symmetry?) or value of the diamond?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=403207341593_75803226105&collid=31212226105

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
here is one of your pictures, it is not bad at all

golfer1.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Looks like every diamond has this reflection

colours.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
DiamCalc simulations for different girdle thickness. From left to right: Ex. Thin, Medium, Very Thick.

golfer.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Can somebody please confirm this is definitely a girdle reflection (link to album below)? I'm referring to the small line 2/3 of the way down the diamond.
-----------

Yep. Definite girdle reflection.

-----------
Second, should the diamond be set a different way to avoid this? Can it be set a different way to avoid this?
-----------

Nope.

-----------
Is it anything to be concerned about?
-----------

Nope.

-----------
What causes it?
-----------

The pavilion of a diamond is like a cone of mirrors. They are merely doing their job, reflecting a perfect picture of the interior of the girdle. It's kind of cool, really. As an appraiser, you can use this reflection when examining bezel set stones. You can't see the girdle outright, but you can examine it's reflection (by tilting the diamond and looking at it through the table) to locate inclusions or characteristics.

-----------
Does the existence of a girdle reflection -- or perhaps the propensity of a diamond to have a girdle reflection in most settings -- in any way impugn the quality (clarity, polish, symmetry?) or value of the diamond?
-----------

Nope. The only time a girdle reflection is a problem is when you can see it inside the table's perimeter when examining the diamond directly face-up. This reflection is called a "fish eye" (appropriately named, check out a fish's eye) and is caused by a shallow pavilion angle which allows the reflection to be seen closer towards the center of the stone, instead of being tucked away under the bezel area facets.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Nice DiamondCalc photos, Leonid. I just finished a good appraisal job this week which should give me the extra dough to buy that program from ya. I'll call you as soon as I receive payment.

A question for you though. The laptop I want to use the program in does not have Internet access, and my home computer does not have a CD burner. Do you know another way I can get it from my home computer to my laptop, or are you able to send it to me on a disk?

Thanks,

Rich

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Contact Vladimir N. Onischuk and I am sure he will be able to send you a CD.

Hey all you diamond shoppers - what wonderful support and advice these guys gave you.
3 cheers for Rich and Leonid :)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I can burn a CD for you, Richard. I think it would be easier to send from Canada than Russia.

Do you have a CD drive in your laptop? Alternatively, I can split it on 2 or 3 diskettes.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
You can set the stone in an X-prong setting or a basket with a setting bar and then you will not see the reflection.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I've got a CD Drive in my laptop, Leonid. Thanks for the help.

Rich

Thanks for the flattery, Garry. It will get you nowhere, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Heh heh heh...

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Welcome back Gentlemen!

For a while I thought you were all boycotting the forum

~GiGi

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Welcome back Gentlemen!

For a while I thought you were all boycotting the forum

~GiGi8)
----------------

I was in Spain, GiGi :) and Garry was traveling to see the croc that ate the German tourist :errrr:

GiGi

Rough_Rock
" The crippled oil tanker Prestige split in two today off Spain's northwest
Atlantic coast, threatening one of the world's worst environmental disasters.
The vessel was carrying at least 70,000 tons of thick, sticky fuel oil, and
environmentalists have said the spill could be twice as big as 1989's Exxon
Valdez spill off Alaska. ~ CNN AM News 11-19"

You didn't have anything to do with this, did you Leonid?

GiGi (just kiding)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results