shape
carat
color
clarity

girdle reflection question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

padfoot

Rough_Rock
Hi. I recently got my 8 year old ring cleaned and almost immediate freaked out. I noticed a line going through it, about 2/3 down from the top. I thought for sure it was cracked. I took it back to the jeweler and they told me it was a feather that was reflecting all around the stone. My husband says he did not recall the stone having a featehr in it. Yes, there are some small inclusions, but he says no feather that he can recall. So, I went for a second opninion and was told it was a girdle reflection. I was also able to look at it through the microscope and see it. It looks just like the one golfer posted on this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-what-happened-to-my-diamond.76393/

Coming here helped to confirm this for me, although, I am surprised I never noticed it before. Maybe when the ring is dirty, you can't see it at all. Anyway, my question is why the first jeweler, that is from a well known chain store, would say it was a feather? I am glad it is not cracked like I originially thought, but you would think a jeweler would also know a feather when they see one. Should I go for a third opinion? Although, like I said, this site has pretty much confirmed for me what it is.

Are these reflections common? Also, has anyone else actually been able to see on through a microscope?

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I have a RB and the 1st time I noticed the girdle reflection, I freaked out too! I think its really commom...especially after doing some research here on the subject. Don''t know why the 1st jeweler would say its a feather though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girdle reflections have scared many people who have posted here, they can be quite alarming until you know what they are! I bet it is what you are seeing, no clue why the first jeweller thought it was a feather...You mention this was in a well known chain store, are you sure the person who said it was a feather was an actual jeweller, or could it have been an inexperienced sales person? If you like, post a pic if that might help with some opinions, but I think you are fine and it is the girdle reflection.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pics Gary!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

padfoot

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Yup, it pretty much looks like those pictures, except the line is more white. The reason is because my girdle is not polished. In fact, when looking through a microscope, the reflection pretty much looks like the same texture as the girlde, except the diamond is smooth. I do think the first jeweler I went to was a salesperson. I went to a third jeweler on Friday for one last opinion. The sales people were confused so they got the actual jeweler. He said it was a reflection as well, or a "fisheye", as they call it. I am just amazed that it took 8 years for me to notice this when I have what I call an "anal eye". I notice when things are slightly crooked or stictched wrong, etc. I swear I studied the inside and out of this diamond when I got it, you would think I would have noticed this.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/14/2008 4:25:19 PM
Author:padfoot
Hi. Anyway, my question is why the first jeweler, that is from a well known chain store, would say it was a feather? I am glad it is not cracked like I originially thought, but you would think a jeweler would also know a feather when they see one. Should I go for a third opinion? Although, like I said, this site has pretty much confirmed for me what it is.

Are these reflections common? Also, has anyone else actually been able to see on through a microscope?

Sadly because he is not a real jeweler. Yes, he works at a jewelry store, but could well have been selling ladies shoes last week or the week before.

It really hurts our profession when these uneducated sales clerks are allowed to speak about things they know nothing about. In this case it caused you needless anguish until you could find out what it really was.

To answer your other question, yes, the girdle reflection is common, in fact every round brilliant diamond will have one if you look at it from the right angle.

Wink

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Just curious...do any other shapes show the girdle reflection, or is it only the rounds?

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2008 1:29:27 PM
Author: surfgirl
Just curious...do any other shapes show the girdle reflection, or is it only the rounds?
Cushions do!

sDSC00840.JPG

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
...so do Princess cuts. This is an AGS0 1.52ct. cut by Paul Antwerp, so even the very best Princess show reflections...seen here at two different angles.

PRgirdleRef.jpg

padfoot

Rough_Rock
Paulie, beautiful ring!

Well, I am still confused. I am 100% sure this is a girdle reflection now (it looks a LOT like Paulie''s ring in that picture). However, like I said, I had this ring for 8 years and never noticed it until now. There is a small black cole piece inside that i can see from the side view. Now, I notice it is right where the girdle reflection is. Well, I noticed that black spot 8 years ago, but did not see the girdle reflection then. Why would it show up so many years later? Oh, and my ring is dirty now, and I can still see the reflection. Is that normal too?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I can see the girdle reflection in my stone even when it''s dirty, it has a bruted girdle like yours. Maybe previously your eye "edited" it out, because you unconciously realized it wasn''t something actually inside the stone but just part of the optical quality of a diamond? I never realized that the girdle reflection could look like an inclusion until I saw it mentioned here- it just looked like, well, a girdle reflection to me, not a crack, and it never crossed my mind to wonder about it. Maybe you did the same, until something made you examine your stone again and it popped out at you. Dunno! Just a possibility. Like those pictures that either look like a vase or two profiles, depending on how you focus your attention.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results