shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle Question

ocean115412

Rough_Rock
Hope all is well with everyone! I discovered a problem around the girdle of this stone and I need help to fully identify it. Is this what you call bruting or bearding that's mainly found on the girdle? Please see image...Thank you!

bruted_girdle.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS.. :wavey: Is that a real diamond? b/c the unfinished girdles that I have seen looks more frosty white.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a Ruby to me

ocean115412

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the warm welcome! I love this place and I am learning a lot from it. In addition, it’s prompting me to take a distance course with the GIA. Listen, this is from the Art Deco period. In my opinion, I believe that it’s a diamond. Whether or not it’s natural, I honestly do not know. Though as you said, it could be a ruby. Anyhow, I added two more close-up images that show the girdle. I hope this can further help identify what’s in the girdle based on the first image that I posted. One of the images show a nick inclusion at the girdle. I know how to identify a few inclusions but I can get very confused with some of them. Thanks!

girdle_image3.jpg

girdle_image2.jpg

ocean115412

Rough_Rock
I did some research and found the answer. I learned that some old time cutters would purposely cut a diamond with a bruted girdle to verify its natural. In addition, The Cutting/Bruting process could have been done too fast or too sloppy, causing the bearded girdle. In fact, this blemish cannot be seen under a 12X magnifying glass. Thanks!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sincerely doubt that is a diamond. I'd get it checked - the value could vary greatly depending on what it is. Some red diamonds are naturally red (and are exceedingly rare and uber expensive), some are treated to make them red; but that doesn't look like diamond to me. If you are considering keeping this stone I'd get it's identity verified and an independent appraisal done for insurance purposes.

ocean115412

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response. Do I believe it needs further examination? Yes. I intend to take gemology courses. I will research it more and more, then submit it to the laboratory for the final examination.

ocean115412

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the responses.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results