shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle in relation to bezel setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock

Okay, since I''m considering a 3 stone bezel set ring, how does girdle width come into play? Does it matter if it''s thin or thick? Also, if I''m considering a bezel setting what other things should I take into consideration to maximize white light and brilliance (I may be using "white light" wrong). Do I have to reconsider color grading and/or clarity grading? I want my ring to sparkle, sparkle, sparkle.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I got some heat for posting this question in Diamond Hangout so I reposted it here and I'm still getting no professional opinion. What's the dealio?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about the others, but I haven't answered because I don't know. This is a specialized bench jeweler question, and I don't know how many we've got here. I have a feeling, however, that it doesn't much matter and that as long as the girdle isn't too thin you don't have anything to worry about. Don't quote me on that, though.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Lanee:

"Getting heat?" Huh?

It was I who suggested you post here instead, and my comment in NO WAY gave any grief about where you'd posted previously. You were perplexed that no one was answering, and my comment was that you'd likely get a better response on THIS forum because the nature of your question was better suited here.

Summary: I was trying to help you get a response. I can't believe you took that as "getting heat". I'm truly sorry I got involved at all.

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Poor Lanee,

You've reposted in the busier forum and still are getting no answers! Well, I'll repost my opinion, and hopefully if I'm mistaken, someone more knowledgeable will correct me...

I believe that with a bezel setting you actually don't need to worry as much about thin girdles, since they'll be protected from chipping. I don't know of any drawback to thicker girdles other than the usual --- wasted weight.

As for maximizing brilliance, it is my understanding that only light that enters through the top of the diamond will exit throught the top anyway. (I'm not sure if that's strictly accurate, though.) If that's correct, then a closed setting will not diminish light return, and considerations of color and clarity should be the same as always too.

1.gif
, Melissa

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
aljdewey-that was a very light hearted comment-not to be taken so literal, please excuse the comment if you were offended, that was not my intention.

Thanks Lawgem and Mel.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could one of the jewellers respond here, I think this is a good question?

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Pyramid, I am so baffled as to why I haven't gotten more response from this question.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I don't really know either, but my best guess, like Lawgem, is that an extra thin girdle wouldn't be as much of a concern. With a thick girdle you'd just be wasting a teensy bit of the stone.

This should have no impact on brilliance, though, since light enters and exits from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results