shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
My GIA report states my diamond''s girdle is very thin-thin faceted. This I understand. Along with the report came a small bookmark sized card that looks to be a summary of the report printed by the GIA. On the bookmark sized card for the girdle it states very thin-thin, then it states faceted (2.4%) Does this make any sense? I would think the % would be much lower since the girdle is very thin-thin? Or does the 2.4% mean it is only faceted on 2.4% of the girdle?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 10:14:14 AM
Author:Karen Leah
My GIA report states my diamond''s girdle is very thin-thin faceted. This I understand. Along with the report came a small bookmark sized card that looks to be a summary of the report printed by the GIA. On the bookmark sized card for the girdle it states very thin-thin, then it states faceted (2.4%) Does this make any sense? I would think the % would be much lower since the girdle is very thin-thin? Or does the 2.4% mean it is only faceted on 2.4% of the girdle?

I would suggest you have this stone examined by an appraiser who has sarin, OGI or helium equipment - if it is unset.
Than will give you more detailed information about the percentage stated. GIA does not report how large and where the very thin area is. If the very thin area is small that has much less bearing on this than if the area takes up a larger section of the girdle. Perhaps the seller has a Sarin file on the stone. If he does ask to see the MNF section report for your stone, as that will answer your concerns more distinctly, and you won''t need an appraiser.Also the newest Sarin program update has a graphical girdle image available in the report too.

2.4% is relative to the size of the stone. In a small stone the area would be a lot thinner than 2.4% of a larger stone.
It depends what the 2.4 measurement represents. Is it the average girdle diameter measurement? or the thickest measurement? Is it the measurement taken at the valleys? etc.

You might want to review some of whiteflash''s presentations in the Presentation section as John Q did a presentation that explained this with really great graphics well. I hope that presentation was saved ( I think it was).

Rockdoc

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for you thoughts.
I think it is odd that the actual GIA report doesn''t state anything about 2.4% but then on the bookmark size card that came with it, it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results