shape
carat
color
clarity

girdle finish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetpea

Rough_Rock
I know the difference and the significance of the different girlde thickness but I puzzled regarding the difference finishes to the girdle. What is the difference between faceted, polished, and none at all. Are there other terms I've missed? Which one is better? Does it affect the beauty of the strenght of the diamond? Thank you.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
A "polished" girdle is smooth all the way around the stone. A "faceted" girdle has many very very small facets that make the stone into a polygon with many (50-100?) little sides. That's not a very elegant way to say it.

It takes more time and effort to create a "faceted" girdle (which is also polished by the way). Larger stones are more likley to have a faceted girdle.

Cola

Rough_Rock
If memory serves me right, my appraiser mentioned that girdles, specially thin ones, should be faceted for strength.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I see that most princess cuts even 1.52 size do not have faceted girdle but the round does even 1 carat round has faceted girdle, why is that?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Princess cuts always have a faceted girdle. The facet extends the entire side of the stone for a total of 4 facets. Becuase the faceting is not like rounds, lots of tiny facets creating a circle, one could just as well describe the girdle of a princess cut as polished. No one really cares for the distinction.

A finely polished girdle on a round diamond is unusual but possible. Generally they are bruted (unpolished), or faceted (poolished in tiny incremental facets).

Polishing or faceting a girdle does very little to change durability. Durability comes from correct crown height, proper crown and pavilion angles, adequate girdle thickness and lucky or unlucky placement of inclusions which might weaken a stone.

:errrr:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results