shape
carat
color
clarity

Gimme that old time fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WoW! Just saw a 1.27 F-SI2 that made my heart beat faster. The cert stated strong blue so I walked it outside into the bright cloudless sunlight of a very cold Boise Winter Day.

In the shade the stone took on a deep bottomless pool look that was stunning, almost like holding air that had some sparkly facets. When I took it into the sunlight the stone came alive with a blaze of sparkles but the body of the stone was now a mystical pale almost blue.

Sigh, it was gorgeous! It is what the old timer''s meant when they talked about a blue white, those colorless stones that became bluish out of doors.

It''s gone now, but for a few minutes I got to share it and enjoy the beauty of it. It reminds me why in the old days that we used to charge a premium for such a stone. But that was before the investment silliness, back when stones were bought for beauty, not for the paper. I have been walking around all afternoon humming the tune of "gimme that old time religion" but using the word fluorescence instead of religion.

Wink

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome wink!!! I wish you''d gotten some snaps of it but I''m glad you got to enjoy it - thanks for sharing :) my next diamond is going to be DEstrong :D

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like a kicken stone.
I love strong blue.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am truly happy to see that some still consider the phenomena in diamonds called Blue Fluorescense special!!!

i just delivered a OMC of approx. 2.5 carats (F color) with Very Strong Blue to clients of mine. They loved it...
It was as white can get indoors (faced up a "C" color!!!) and when you walked out into day-light it faced-up as an "VIVID BLUE"!!!

Thats the true meaning of Blue-white diamonds...

in this case the diamond was NOT sold at a discount!!! actually it was sold at a premium because of this phenomina!!!!

I think blue/orange/red fluorescence is a plus in a lot of diamonds... anyone with me on this?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My favorite saying is that common sense is not common Wink.

Because labs report fluoro on certs, and sales people all around the world have no idea what it means - the stones get discounted.

But they are stunningly beautiful

Common sense is not common

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think these days..., demand exceeds supply in larger high quality diamonds..., that the Blues are not being discounted as before....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t pay a premium for it but if the diamond has it and the industry price was the same for one with faint I would not have a problem with it.
But in today''s market give me my discount :}

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 3:07:23 AM
Author: DiaGem
I am truly happy to see that some still consider the phenomena in diamonds called Blue Fluorescense special!!!

i just delivered a OMC of approx. 2.5 carats (F color) with Very Strong Blue to clients of mine. They loved it...
It was as white can get indoors (faced up a ''C'' color!!!) and when you walked out into day-light it faced-up as an ''VIVID BLUE''!!!
I would have *loved* that stone Diagem.... ::heavy sigh:: got pics?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2007 12:15:08 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/27/2007 3:07:23 AM

It was as white can get indoors (faced up a ''C'' color!!!) and when you walked out into day-light it faced-up as an ''VIVID BLUE''!!!
I would have *loved* that stone Diagem.... ::heavy sigh:: got pics?
Sorry..., not on this gem...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a stone after my own heart Wink!!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2007 12:05:33 PM
Author: strmrdr
I wouldn''t pay a premium for it but if the diamond has it and the industry price was the same for one with faint I would not have a problem with it.
Sorry Charlie as the Starkist ads used to say... (If you remember this you are not a youngster anymore!)

A stone as special as the one I saw yesterday deserves and receives no discount! I would love to have seen the one described above that became a vivid blue, that would be truly a treasure to behold! I have seen and owned (briefly) a couple that were medium blue, but never have I seen a vivid blue that did not become roily. Sigh...

Wink

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey I remeber that you callin me old?

Im not gonna get into it with ya Wink if the client is happy with the price then thats what counts :}

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2007 8:00:12 PM
hey I remeber that you callin me old?

Im not gonna get into it with ya Wink if the client is happy with the price then thats what counts :}
On that we are in total agreement!

Wink

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2007 6:43:26 PM
Author: Wink

Date: 1/27/2007 12:05:33 PM
Sorry Charlie as the Starkist ads used to say... (If you remember this you are not a youngster anymore!)

A stone as special as the one I saw yesterday deserves and receives no discount! I would love to have seen the one described above that became a vivid blue, that would be truly a treasure to behold! I have seen and owned (briefly) a couple that were medium blue, but never have I seen a vivid blue that did not become roily. Sigh...

Wink
Yes, this stone was definitely an exceptional stone...., it was what you would call "first water" in indoor artificial lighting... no hazyness or oily appearance...
I wish i took a photograph of it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds beautiful!! One thing I''ve always admired about tiffany''s is that all of their ads have a slight bluish hue to the diamonds and it''s quite beautiful.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have a picture of a blue-white diamond? I''m really curious.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 4:01:14 AM
Yes, this stone was definitely an exceptional stone...., it was what you would call ''first water'' in indoor artificial lighting... no hazyness or oily appearance...
I wish i took a photograph of it.
honestly diagem, I don''t know how you could NOT take at least one photo of each stone you cut.. just for posterity!! Let alone the truly exceptional ones...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 4:37:48 PM
Author: Harriet
It''s very difficult to capture the quality in photos, Harriet.

And for others - I thought it was illegal to call them "blue white"?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2007 7:47:09 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/28/2007 4:37:48 PM
Author: Harriet
It''s very difficult to capture the quality in photos, Harriet.

And for others - I thought it was illegal to call them ''blue white''?
It is now ilegal to try to sell a stone as being a blue-white as per FTC rules and regulations. That is why I said it is what the old timers used to call such a stone. I suppose I should have gone into greater detail about the abuse that came when any "yucky yellow" stone that fluoresced was called blue white and sold for ridicules money, which is what led to the rule by the FTC.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results