shape
carat
color
clarity

Gift Giving

Okay, so when would be an appropriate time to give him the jacket?

• ASAP so that he can wear and enjoy it, with full knowledge that this is his "holiday" gift

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Wait until the closest holiday (i.e. Thanksgiving)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give it to him before I leave

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (write below)

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea how some guys do it (buy an engagement ring and then wait MONTHS to propose).
I just got the gift I'd like to give SO for the holidays and I'm dying to give it to him ASAP!

It's a jacket. He desperately needed a black jacket. It's not as warm as I would've hoped, but subsequently I'll get him or get him to buy more sweaters. However, it's not sweater weather just yet, so he could easily enjoy it now...

Problem? Aside from being terrible at giving gifts at their appropriate time, I'm more of a see/like/buy/gift type of person, I'm not even going to be with him during the holidays. I'm visiting with my family for 3 weeks in the heart of the holiday season.
Also, as a little quibble, we've never given each other anything for the holidays, so it's not like giving it to him now would make the holidays "disappointing" in any way.

So what should I do?

Thanks in advance :))

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I gave my DH a black leather jacket "for Christmas." I needed him to try it on - it's a good thing he did because he ended up needing a medium and I would have guessed "large." So, since he already knew what I was getting him, I just let him have it early. Christmas in October. :praise:

Sometimes, you just have to give a gift when it's appropriate to your situation instead of waiting for the holiday it is intended to be "for."

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Tanzigrrl!
Ironic to your situation, 2 years ago I got him a black leather jacket, but assumed he was medium, when he was actually large. :lol:
We ended up returning it and he STILL hasn't had a black jacket. Clothes are of the least importance to him. Shame, I'm in love with a bum haha.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give it to him! I can never wait either ::)

Pretty kitty!!! :bigsmile:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thank Yssie!

Yes, I've fallen into the land of cat avatars as well. Who'd a thought there would be such a correlation between cats and diamonds :lol:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted other b/c I'm not sure where you're located. It make sense to make sure he has it a few weeks before the weather starts to cool off...if that is now, then go for it or wait till Thanksgiving if that's a good weather time.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
give the jacket now so he can get more wearing time when its cold.Also get him a small gift that you give him on christmas day that is a reminder that the jacket was a christmas gift and not just a gift...a wallet, belt ,gloves or hat that matches the jacket with a card that wishes continued enjoyment of your early gift will be a fun for him to open on christmas day.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jewelerman|1319126840|3044195 said:
give the jacket now so he can get more wearing time when its cold.Also get him a small gift that you give him on christmas day that is a reminder that the jacket was a christmas gift and not just a gift...a wallet, belt ,gloves or hat that matches the jacket with a card that wishes continued enjoyment of your early gift will be a fun for him to open on christmas day.

Oh, excellent idea - I second this heartily!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for giving it to him now because he can use it now. You can always give him a small gift or a stocking of small/fun wrapped items for the holidays!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!
MC, we're in NY. It's low 60's for now and he's the type of guy to wear a T-shirt until it's December, lol.

Jewelerman, that's a great suggestion, thank you! However, we've never done the holiday gift/unwrapping of present/gifts under the tree thing, and I'm definitely not expecting anything in return. The holidays are more annoying than they are pleasant for him (perpetual work, and usually he has work and if he doesn't he has to work at home), which is why he didn't even pitch an argument when I asked his opinion on my leaving. Unfortunate, but hopefully when our situation changes, we'll start some happier holiday traditions :))

The consensus is in, he'll get the jacket as soon as I see him! Which, hopefully, will be this weekend for the NewLife Expo! :D

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
He surprised me by coming over last night after work. He was tired and needed to be fed and snuggled, so this morning before he had to leave for work I gave him the jacket. He was very happy, especially since today is particularly windy and chilly, and of course he was wearing only a T-shirt. I kept reminding him that this is his holiday gift, that I just want him to enjoy it since I'm leaving.
Now he insists on getting me a holiday gift, hey, I'm not complaining! :)) (although I'm pretty sure he wanted to get me something anyway...)

Thanks everyone!

(Sidebar: I call it "holiday gift" because I don't celebrate Hannukah or Christmas, only New Year. He celebrates Christmas, but we're not religious in any way, so a holiday's a holiday!)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jewelerman|1319126840|3044195 said:

Agreed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results