shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA's Colored Diamond Book - What's going on?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The book in question is "Gems & Gemology in Review: Colored Diamonds" [Textbook Binding] Edited by John M. King

Below are two links about this book which is now out of print.
The first link (from 2006) puts GIA's price of the book at $60.
The second link is today's Amazon listing with a price of $770.

Could this really be the same book? :o
Did the price actual shoot up in value 13 times? ;(

If so and demand really is this crazy, perhaps GIA should be told to order a second printing.
Do any of you pros know a contact person at GIA?

I wanna buy it but I don't want to spend $770 for a $60 book.
It's not like it's a diamond.

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/news/2006/082406story.html

http://www.amazon.com/Gems-Gemology...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280593302&sr=1-1

416KRDDY8AL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And you thought it was only colored diamonds that would appreciate in value, now you know even the literature about them will..... :lol:

I found the same thing when I went to buy another copy a couple of months ago. I did not know they were out of print. Keep hunting, they are out there somewhere. I hope that means they are going to release a newer edition with articles beyond 2006.....

If you can find a decent price on Harvey Harris's Fancy Color Diamond, it is a must have as well.

Kenny- congrats on your decision, I'm looking forward to your thoughts about it after you see the stone in person... :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gee I'm starting to wonder if they think people who buy colored diamond have more money than brains . . . :oops: uhhhh I think I hear the phone ringing . . . gotta go. . . :arrow:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Kenny,
You better get the treated and synthetic colored diamond books before they, too, reach the sky. Knowledge is power, especially if you can afford the knowledge!! ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
Well Kenny,
You better get the treated and synthetic colored diamond books before they, too, reach the sky. Knowledge is power, especially if you can afford the knowledge!! ;))

Yeah, but that book on Synthetic diamond is cheaper because it is man made. :lol:

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol justtakethe course at Gia for 1400 and get the ebook for free.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know why it's so expensive? For that price, I'll order it from the dang library.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not sure why it comes up at $770, that's odd and ridiculously high. GIA is listing the book for sale in the set for a normal price in issues of G&G.

--Joshua

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results