shape
carat
color
clarity

GIADispute

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scorpio

Rough_Rock
I have a serious concern on the clarity grading of a diamond On December 7, 2003 I paid a visit to a Master Gemologist Appraiser to have this diamond appraised. While he was looking for pinpoints that were shown on the GIA report, he could not find them under ten-power magnification. He only found them when he turned up the power to 30-plus.

My issue is that the book The Antoinette Matlins Buying Guide states, “United States Federal Trade Commission requires grading to be done under ten-power magnification. Any flaw that does not show up under the ten-power magnification is considered nonexistent for grading purposes.” (p. 9) Why is there this discrepancy in the grading of my stone? Is it possible to get a new GIA grading report?
saint.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can resubmit a stone to G.I.A,for color or clarity recheck,or both.if they find that you are right,they will not charge you and change the grading,if you are wrong they will charge you $.
They somtimes make mistakes.

good luck

scorpio

Rough_Rock
Just about how much will they charge me
22.gif
if I'm wrong. I will be taking it to GIA in New York.

Thank for the fast respond!
16.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
GIA charges vary by stone size and if it's a color and/or clarity regrade, but in the range of $30-50.

As for clarity grading, a grader may scan a stone at greater than 10x to pick up small inclusions, and then knowing their location rescan at 10x to see if they are still visible. If not visible at 10x then they are not a clarity grade feature.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results