shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA XXX low HCA score, am I missing out?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Before I started hanging with PC, my DH and I upgraded my MRB to what I thought was a beautiful GIA stone. The stats are as follows:

1.51c
SI2
I
XXX
33.5 % c
41.6% p
61.9% depth
56% table
3% faceted girdle

I plugged in the numbers and the HCA is only 4.8!
From what I have read,looks like the crown is too shallow and the pavilion too deep!
Now I am bummed. I thought I had a beautiful stone, it seems very sparkly and eye clean. I am worried that I am missing out.
Any thoughts?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is a photo of the stone

_34927.jpg

_34928.jpg

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
What this forum doesn't really talk about is diminishing returns, also, HCA is limited in what it measures & is no substitute for the eyes. Whilst 'on paper' your stone would leave some number chasers running it is IMHO too limited to derive an opinion from an HCA score, and away from the ultra-strict parameters used on this forum yours is still way within the range to look better than most.

I wouldn't worry, all GIA 'triple excellent' are stunning stones and way above average. There is no such thing as an ugly GIA XXX! Enjoy what you have chosen and please don't get sucked into the numbers. Even if you did decide to to for a so-called 'super ideal' there wouldn't be big differences compared to what you have.

sn0rky

Rough_Rock
Personal preferrence. I returned a 2.3 hca stone for something under 1. The stone under 1 had a lot more color in the sparkle, it definitely cost more but was worth it.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
sn0rky|1445271440|3939854 said:
Personal preferrence. I returned a 2.3 hca stone for something under 1. The stone under 1 had a lot more color in the sparkle, it definitely cost more but was worth it.

Nothing to do with HCA...

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi decisively unsure,

You make me feel much better about my stone. I really think it is beautiful but was wondering if I was missing the boat!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't look bad in the pictures. Keep it clean, though

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1445303255|3940071 said:
Doesn't look bad in the pictures. Keep it clean, though

Yup - keep your new sparkler clean, especially the underside ::)

I agree that now isn't the time to nitpick, or worry about "what-ifs" - The stone is purchased (and presumably not returnable?), the emotional attachment has been made... Time to stop fretting and enjoy it! :sun:

Edit - I like your setting style! Profile pics?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
There certainly are ugly GIA XXX stones. But maybe some people like the fisheye effect in their stone. not me.

If you want to know if you're missing out then you could look at ideal cut stones. Maybe find a hearts on fire dealer and look at their stones in comparison to yours. Then you can see what if anything you are missing out on. Conversely, if you like the way your diamond looks then don't worry about it. Ignorance can be bliss.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
What's the diameter of the stone?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diameter is 7.39x7.42x4.58. I have also attached a profile picture.
The store does have a good upgrade policy, I could upgrade in the future if
I am unhappy with it. What do you think it would be lacking in performance?

_34937.jpg

_34938.jpg

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I decided to take your advice and check out some hearts and arrows stones. I went to my jewelers website to look at their inventory in preparation for a visit to the store. Just for fun, I chose a GIA 'very good' cut and plugged the numbers into the HCA tool. It came up with a 1.5! Then I plugged in some XXX stones and all three came up 4 and worse. Now I am very confused! Anyone experience this? Thanks

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Update! I finally visited a BM store and checked out an AGS ideal stone side by side with my diamond. I could not see a difference in performance with my untrained eye! The Ideal stone scored 1.5 on the HCA. Of course this in a store with great lighting. I feel better!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear this! Your ring looks beautiful. :appl:

I have several diamonds purchased prior to me finding Pricescope- none of them are certified or ideal cut but they are sparkly and beautiful to my eyes. I am very grateful for all the extra information I have learned on here and do have the ambition to own a perfectly cut stone one day. It will be a small one for a pendant, though.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Snowdrop,

I agree with you, I am so grateful for all of the information here. It helps to be well informed and to have the tools to look for beautiful stones in the future. I was thinking of upgrading my stone soon and may still do so in the future but I am very pleased that it perform so well for what it is! Thanks!

PolarBear2006

Rough_Rock
agree with above, don't let number decide whether you like the stone or not for you. The numbers are really meant for stones thats NOT in your hands, if you loved it when you got it, then keep it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results