shape
carat
color
clarity

Gia VS2 with "Blank" inclusion plot????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbey

Rough_Rock
I just received a copy of a GIA Cert for a 3+carat emerald cut and the inclusion plot is totally clean. How can this be...shouldn''t there be "something" notable to make it a VS2. Maybe it just doesn''t show up on the copy-I''m emailing the vendor too... The only thing noted on the cert was "additional pinpoints not shown".
Thanks so much for your opinions!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Assuming that there is not a comment on the lab report indicating something like "the clarity grade of this diamond is based upon clouds not shown" or "the clarity grade of this diamond is based upon surface / internal graining not shown" or something like that, then the person who pens in the inclusions at the lab probably forgot to do his / her job. We see this from time to time and it represents a lab error... The labs are run by people and as such there is room for error. We received a parcel of 25 diamonds back from one of the labs and not a single one of the lab reports indicated any inclusions on the plotting diagrams. It was a major inconvenience because we couldn't market the diamonds until the lab reports had been corrected and re-issued.

Fortunately, we have always managed to catch the plotting error before our customers see the lab report because we actually see the diamonds that we sell and rely on the lab reports as a tool during our verification process - obviously the inclusions indicated on the lab report need to match those that we see within the diamond... However, we are continually amazed that many of our suppliers fail to notice that there are no inclusions indicated on the lab report. Does this mean that they're not really evaluating the diamonds that they sell? Or does it just mean that they don't look at the lab reports and probably the diamonds when they get them back from the labs? Neither scenario is comforting to us...

The vendor should be able to contact the lab and have the report re-issued with the correct plotting diagram. However you may need to send the diamond back to the laboratory for verification if by chance they forgot to record the inclusion types and locations entirely. Ask the vendor who sold the diamond to you for an extension on their return policy so that you have adequate time to have the diamond evaluated and verified after receiving the corrected version of the lab report.

So we have a question... Did you not see a scanned copy of the lab report before buying the diamond? It seems to us that this situation could have been corrected before you purchase the diamond. In the future, be sure that you receive a legible version of the lab report before you purchase the diamond so that you can make a decision based upon the type of inclusions and the location and extent of those inclusions. You should also ask for detailed clarity photographs of the inclusions because the plotting diagrams are one dimensional and do not offer an accurate representation as to the visibility and extent of the inclusions.

Remember, to err is human... It's all in how you fix it
2.gif

abbey

Rough_Rock
Hi Todd and Robin,
Thanks so much for your reply... I guess that I didn't make myself too clear though. I actually haven't purchased the diamond-I'm in the process of considering it.... I had asked for a copy of the GIA cert, 10x photos of the inclusions , and a sarin report and the first of the those things that I have received is the copy of the Cert which is what I was questioning. The vendor does not have the stone in house and of course they are offering to bring it in and get me everything that I am asking for. I did receive an email back from the vendor confirming that it's just a very clean VS2, the mfg doesn't have a sarin so I'm trying to decide if I want to have them pay to ship it in to check it out.
Thanks again
1.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes the colors on the original inclusion plot don't copy too well. Ask the dealer if he has the original which he can scan in color. (He may not posses the original.)

I'm guessing that there are some marks on the plot that your copy just doesn't have. Of course with a VS stone they'd likely be small anyway.

R/A

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Frequently B&W photocopiers will not "see" the red markings on the cert plot - get it scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results