shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. Sarin Report? How different can they be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I noticed that there were differences in some of the #''s and percentages on my GIA certificate, and the sarin report I have.

Is this common?

i.e.:

GIA Report says depth 65.8 %
Sarin says 66.2%

Table GIA says 64%
Table Sarin says 66%

and the measurements are off too...
GIA says 7.51 x 5.55
Sarin says 7.62 x 5.53

Let me know if this is normal or super fishy.

I noticed and asked when I bought it, but how can I refute the GIA report vs. the Sarin.

-G

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sad to say it, but this disparity is normal. Obviously the GIA uses a Sarin machine to do their work, but other people also own Sarin machines and they may be somewhat out of calibration. The GIA machine might also be a bit out of calibration, too. Besides those two issues, the Sarin is not 100% accurate anyway. We know it is close and "good enough" for diamond work, but it is not "perfect".

Of course, the diamond "could" be the wrong stone.

It would take an experienced diamond grader to verify the stone is the correct one for the report or possibly the wrong stone.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/1/2004 2:55:36 PM Moosejaw wrote:

I noticed that there were differences in some of the #'s and percentages on my GIA certificate, and the sarin report I have.

Is this common?

i.e.:

GIA Report says depth 65.8 %

Sarin says 66.2%

Table GIA says 64%

Table Sarin says 66%

and the measurements are off too...

GIA says 7.51 x 5.55

Sarin says 7.62 x 5.53

Let me know if this is normal or super fishy.

I noticed and asked when I bought it, but how can I refute the GIA report vs. the Sarin.

-G----------------

Well, the Sarin accuracy is supposed to be +/- 0.02mm, so either GIA's Sarin measuremnt is wrong or the other Sarin measurement is wrong, or... both are wrong. Or you got the wrong stone or report...

Basically, the seller, who provided the information along with the stone and GIA report is not doing their job, in rectifying the differences BEFORE they sent you the stone.. Sloppy... It is their responsibility.

Marty Haske

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We agree with Marty, the discrepancy between the two reports is sloppy work on either the part of the GIA or the seller... We find it necessary to calibrate our OGI Mega Scope using a single stone dedicated to each of the three channels used to measure different size diamonds in order to maintain the level of accuracy which we expect from the machine. A single speck of dust or lint on the surface of the diamond or on the lens or platform of the machine will throw off all the measurements so it is important to clean each diamond thoroughly before attempting to measure the diamond if accuracy is your intention... Also, there are different versions of the Sarin and OGI machines and the accuracy of the measurements improves as the quality of the machine gets better... Those $5K little counter top jobbies are little more than a joke... Retail humor if you will... The people in the trade who are serious about providing their clients with accurate information have invested in the higher end equipment that is comparable to what is being used by the labs - however the lab equipment is still at the higher end of the scale than what is generally available to the rest of the trade because of custom configuration that goes into each machine...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results