shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Vs. IGI/GCAL

kel12345

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I’ve heard GIA is the oldest and most trustworthy certification. I do see quite a few LGDs with IGI as well as GCAL. I heard IGI is common with LGDs. Is GCAL reputable? I had never heard of that certification prior to shopping around.
Thanks!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
GCAL is very reputable, on par with GIA and their reports are more detailed than either IGI or GIA. If you’re going GCAL, the 8x is the crème de la crème.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, kel12345.
Grading lab can be an important choice, but keep in mind that there are many aspects of a diamond that go unmentioned on any grading report:
Material quality (things like stria, strain, graining, color hues, etc)

Minute details of cut precision (things like painting, digging, pavilion twist)

Optical performance (things like over-obstruction or paddling)

...that is information that won't be on a grading report. GCAL 8X or GIA w/AGS addendum will come the closest since they provide optical assessment images on the report, but there are still other things to look for with the diamond, itself.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
My understanding is that IGI’s reputation increased when they ventured into the LGD space. Initially, GIA chose to stay out of LGD.

By essentially being a pioneer in LGD certification, IGI had the opportunity to show that their color grading and cut grading were on par with other reputable organizations. GIA started certifying LGD several years after IGI, likely after realizing that LGD were going to make up a significant market share.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results