shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. EGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

girlsbestfriend

Rough_Rock
I found a princess stone certified by EGL that describes the cut as "very good". Is the rating for cut a standard one, or do different certifiers (e.g., GIA, AGL) have different standards such that a "very good" cut by EGL would only be a "good" cut by GIA?

girlsbestfriend

Rough_Rock
ok - thanks. I've heard that EGL certifies stones much more "aggressively" than GIA or AGL. Is this true? Am I better off buying a diamond with a GIA cert?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
GIA is known to be more stringent in their grading and thus more reliable.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Aggressively Or less accurately?...As Oldminer (David Atlas) wrote a while ago, if other labs would be as strict as GIA, who will send them the diamonds for grading?The point is, GIA reports are considered as the strictest in the trade. As a result diamonds with GIA reports cost more on the market.However, you always have a chance that GIA grader made a mistake or EGL report is absolutely correct...That's why it's recommended checking the stone with independent appraiser/gemologist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results