shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. EGL is the only difference price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

friday133

Rough_Rock
Need some help here, new to the board.

I am looking at buying a ring in the near future and have looked all over my local area in Pittsburgh. Bottom line is what is the difference between GIA and EGL? From what I have seen its just price. I am looking for a Round cut stone 1.50-2.00 carats color is important. Any thoughts?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A quick search will turn up dozens of threads on this.
Click search above and type in egl for a search term.

I will provide a quick summery.

egl new york is usualy fairly accurate but not as strict as ags and gia.
egl anywhere else isnt worth the paper it is printed on.

The only way I would buy a egl diamond is to have an expert independant appraiser go over the diamond first.

Then I would base the cost/quality decision on the appraisers opinion not the cert.

Fankly for me anyway its not worth the hassle but as long as the vendor will send it to an independant appraiser before you pay for it then it might be worth it and you can save some money.

friday133

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help, how common is EGL New York certification? Would I see that here in Pittsburgh?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
EGL New York is a good lab. I know some people who work there, and they are well-qualified. It is not as prestigious as GIA but it is reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results