shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. AGS vs. EGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bright

Rough_Rock
Are these all equally respected diamond certifications?

Are GIA certified diamonds more valuable or respected than say an EGL diamond?

Are they just as accurate as one another? Or, does one tend to be stricter than an other?

Just trying to understand if this should be a determining factor in selecting diamonds.

Thank you all,
Bright

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The AGS and GIA are the more respected labs between dealers. The AGS document gives more information about cut than the GIA report. Get a GIA document with a Sarin or OGI report and you have the same as the AGS offers. Many feel the EGL is a little easy on their grading at times (I happen to agree), but an EGL report is certainly better than a few others are and very much better than having none at all.

Pricing (most expensive diamond to least);
AGS graded stone
GIA graded stone
EGL graded stone

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I spoke to Mark Gershburg, EGL USA director. He insisted that EGL USA today is more strict than GIA.

I will email Mark about this thread and ask to share his view on the subject.

lookingforastone

Rough_Rock
Was there any response or conclusions on this issue?

SYR

Rough_Rock
I have an EGL but not from the USA and it is not laminated. I dont think it is authentic. We really need to be careful and informed about the scams. Was this a scam?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Since this thread was started a very insightful survey was performed by Leonid and Garry Holloway. Here.

SYR, I realize this may not pertain to your authenticity query, but it's pertinent to the initial questions raised in this thread in 2002/2003.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results