shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. AGS vs. EGL USA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strash

Rough_Rock
I have a few questions. I have just recently started shopping for an engagement ring. (about 2 months so far) Almost everyone I talk to (my friends or dealers) or what I see on the internet, tells me to go with GIA or AGS. My question with GIA is, why on the grading lab report does it say it is not guaranteed or validated. Why wouldn''t they guarantee a big purchase like that? The same goes for AGS. I don''t know much about EGL USA, I hear good things and I hear bad things. I hear EGL USA is good but not EGL. I have looked at GIA, AGS, and EGL USA diamonds. I like each one, but I want a company that can guarantee me what I bought is what I received, not another diamond or even worse a synthetic diamond. Personally out of all the diamonds I have looked at, I liked the diamonds from Kraiko. They looked awesome and had awesome benefits with it, such as lifetime upgrade and 1st year insurance coverage for free from Jeweler''s Mutual. But I haven''t heard a lot, if anything, about them. If someone can someone please help with all my questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!
1.gif

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
They probably don't guarentee it because they can't be sure that the diamond that a jeweler is selling you matches the certificate that they're including with it. A dealer can switch certs, forge certs, etc. They (GIA, AGS, EGL) don't want to be liable for such fraud.

That's just my guess though.

Also, definitely stick with GIA or AGS if you want the most accurate certificate. I personally look for only AGS graded stones because they're the most comprehensive reports and give you all the figures you need for the cut advisor.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I think you are confusing some of the roles played by different people in the chain. The certification agency is an independant agency who "grades" the stone. They don't guarantee that the stone you you received is that grade for 2 reasons: 1. they can't manage the chain of ownership of the stone, so don't guarantee that the stone you have is the stone they graded, thus "matching" the cert. and 2. the grading is done by human beings -- albeit experts -- and parts are very subjective. Thus, they can't guarantee that if sent again different people would grade it exactly the same. They have processes to try to ensure a solid grade, and most experiences are within +/- 1 grade on the subjective parts, but they aren't going to be legally liable for their subjective grade.

Thus come the independent appraisers.....take the stone to them during your retuen period, and have it "re-graded" by and expert to a. ensure it is the stone that matches the cert, and b. give you a second expert opinion on the subject parts. THe appraiser will typically elaborate and give you more details than the cert, so it is useful on all fronts.

Lastly, there are several goo dgrading organiztions. GIA and AGS are the 2 top US orgs, but EGL USA is well respected as well. HRD is a top European organization. EGL outside of the US is thought to be "soft" in their grades, so you could end up overpaying for something.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Ditto's to Lop on the chain of custody of the diamond and Cert. Also to the human subjective factors.

Several Price Scope Vendors have lifetime upgrade policies, and a few have buy back policies. You just have to shop around, compare policies, chat with Vendors, and find one you are comfortable working with.

I've been on Price Scope about a year. I've read countless stories of people buying diamonds and engagement rings from Price Scope Vendors. Since just about everyone posts their own stories, the PS Vendors are literally doing business in a fishbowl. If there is a mistake, we usually hear about it. Usually frantic buyers that post before they contact their Vendor. The Vendors always step up and correct the situation. During my year here, I've only seen one person get a diamond that was different than the one they bought. Right Cert, wrong diamond. And, the guy got a better diamond than the one he ordered and paid for!!
1.gif

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to know, is there's any differences between stones that were graded at IGI Belgerm and IGI Japan? There's this stone claimed that their stones are better than the others that were graded at IGI Japan.
Any truth to that comment?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results