shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs AGS certificates.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

itwontbeeasy

Rough_Rock
Would you say that AGS certificates are more use to the prospective diamond buyer than their GIA equivalent? The AGS certs seem to give more information.

Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. aGS certed diamonds usually cost more
2. they give more info
3. Not asll AGS 0 diamonds are ideal cut as the term ideal would imply in the english language.
But because AGS seem to own the term "ideal cut" within America, all AGS0 diamonds are currently percieved to be ideal cut. Commonsense is not common.
4. GIA do not give enough info, but you can get the info if you try hard enough (an unfortnate fact).

makes life difficult :(

itwontbeeasy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can request the crown and pavilion angles from the GIA? Do you know if this is right, and if so what are the requirements to be able to do so (do you have to own the stone?) and do they charge for it?

It's seemingly impossible to get full cut details on stones in the UK (without paying through the nose for it) and this whole diamond buying process which was at first quite fun, is now becomming a severe pain in the neck as we try to avoid the numerous con merchants and plain theives who seem to operate in this business. (Most of whom appear to have addresses in Hatton Garden, London).

I wouldn't have known how much of a rip off that place was (e.g. in many cases over a discrepancy of over 50% on the price, which on a £2.5K ring is a lot !!!) without websites like this, so thanks very much to all concerned.

Richard.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lots of things are rip offs It wontbeeasy.

What do you do for a living - i bet it involves making a profit some way or another to pay costs (unless you are a public servant and you rip everyone off for a living :)

100%- 300% margin is nothing in the food and rag trade business. Do you make your own clothes and never eat out?
What you are trying to do is negociate with the restraunt based on todays market price for haddock. hatton garned is the market place for trade people, and when traders get the chance to rip off a wood duck ...... well who can blame them?

GIA will give the crown and pavilion #'s to the person who owned the diamond at the time of certification.

Otherwise you need to get the stone put on a Sarin machine, and they are likely to be few and far between in UK.

Your best be is to get us to ship you an ideal-scope from www.ideal-scope.com.

itwontbeeasy

Rough_Rock
> Lots of things are rip offs It wontbeeasy.

Of course, but when diamonds are being sold in some establishments without even any reference to clarity or colour, let alone cut, then it's clear that the retailers are not being as honest as they really ought to be. There are very large numbers of people who decide to get engaged, run to Hatton Garden and buy the first big shiny ring they like, without knowing what they are actually buying.

It's exploitative in much the same way that car mechanics can expolit their customers who know nothing about cars. "OOooo your tertiary gasket is leaking oil onto your phase coupler there sir, you'll need a whole new engine..."

> 100%- 300% margin is nothing in the food and rag trade business.

I don't mean margin - I mean above the cost of *other* retailers. The place is a tourist trap.

>Hatton garned is the market place for trade people, and when traders get the chance to rip off a wood duck ...... well who can blame them?

It's also London's main retail outlet for diamonds to normal consumers. It just makes me mad that they are basically being severely exploited. Ah well, at least I was lucky enough to find out how bad it was before I parted with any cash.

In my case, the same amount of money is getting me a .7c diamond rather than a .4c by not buying it from there. Quite a difference. :)

>GIA will give the crown and pavilion #'s to the person who owned the diamond at the >time of certification.

But not the person who owns it now?

>Otherwise you need to get the stone put on a Sarin machine, and they are likely to be >few and far between in UK.

So I've heard. Someone told me I'd have to send stones to Antwerp as there was
no Sarin machine in the UK. Surely a hole in the UK market waiting to be filled?

>Your best be is to get us to ship you an ideal-scope from www.ideal-scope.com.

I'm considering it. :)

itwontbeeasy

Rough_Rock
Seems strange to me that they have this information but choose not to put it on their certs. Ah well. c'est la vie.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
they promissed to add it this year but then said: "next year"

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Of course there are Sarin machines in the UK. Anyone selling (or buying) or cutting stones in any volume will have one...

If you can't find someone who has one, try Sarin's US or Antwerp representative.... and ask them. For Europe call:

Sarin Belgium:
Aerodiam (Antwerp) NV
The Shop, Hoveniersstraat 48
B-2018, Antwerpen, Belgium
Tel: 32-3-226-5586
Fax: 32-3-231-7842
[email protected]
www.aeridiam.be

Sarin USA
55W 47 St. Suite 840
New York, USA
Tel: 1 212-768-0818
FAx: 1 212-827-0433
[email protected]

Their HQ is in Israel: try www.sarin.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results