shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA tour and "out of round" question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucy

Rough_Rock
someone before mentioned a stone being "out-of-round" meaning the dimensions were really off say 5.60x5.90. For a 3 carat stone-what difference would be considered "out of round"? personally my moms looks a little lopsided to me and the paperwork showed 9.49x9.77-5.66 maybe?
also for those of you who have visited the GIA carlsbad, ca-what is there to see? whats in the "museum"? and was it cool? or boring?
snore.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We consider anything more than 10/100'ths to be "out of round" and actually prefer a tighter range...

lucy

Rough_Rock
eeeeek fractions!!
so 9.49x9.51 =no problem-maybe even excellent?
9.49 x9.59 hedging on bad right?
the 1st number after the decimal is the 10's and the second to the right of the decimal the 100's right?
would the GIA report on a out of round diamond list it as just a good in symmetry or worse?
thank you!
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
According to fiance...this stone has 2% variation which is not that much...but that seems so low considering the spread of the min/max diam as you posted is huge at .28mm! Must be relative to the very large size of stone? Odd.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If my brain is working correctly, variation should be ~3%.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I did some profiling with the DiamCalc software, and it considers anything with more than a 2% difference as "out of round".

The diamond listed above has a difference of 2.95%, 0.28 mm, which would definitely put it in the out-of-round category.

This is not to say that the stone is not beautiful, which it might be. I've seen plenty of gorgeous out-of-round stones. It just fails to "technically" measure up in that particular aspect.

lucy

Rough_Rock
got it! thanks so much all!
twirl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results