shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Symmetry and a few questions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

virginia1

Rough_Rock
Since I have not done side-by-side analysis, does anyone know if I could tell any difference between two stones if the only difference was that one was an AGS-0, and one was GIA with "very good" symmetry? That is, does this difference in symmetry grading make a noticeable difference in visual quality?

This leads me to a second question. I have mainly focused my search on AGS-0 diamonds. But I found an interesting GIA stone in my price range, and I asked Blue nile for Sarin numbers. They didn't send me a picture of the report, but they told me that they were:

Depth 60.1%
Table 56%
Crown angle: 34.3
Pav angle: 40.7
1.06, G, VS2 round for $6925.

Just so happens that this brings up all "excellents" and a score of 0.6 on the good old HCA.

Maybe I am being unduly cynical, but is it possible that a vendor would doctor Sarin numbers because they know that I probably asked for them to plug into the HCA? I already had one pricescope vendor tell me that the HCA was just "one man's opinion" that he "has made a lot of money on." Anyhow, I asked them for an actual copy of the sarin report (AShford has provided me with these before), but I haven't heard back yet.

At any rate, my main question is still whether, given the fact that my girlfriend has told me she places a premium on "sparkle", my departure from AGS-0 diamonds will make any discernible difference to the non-gemologist eye.

Thanks--I appreciate everybody's help through this fun but crazy process!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
The GIA stone looks very nice on paper. You won't be able to tell the difference between excellent and very good symmetry as it is graded by AGS and GIA. This is not a grading of optical symmetry. It is a description of external meet point faceting and will not be visible to the naked eye.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, its the HCA man.
Guess what, I have yet to make a cent from HCA!

Please tell the vendor :)

I am anaware of any vendors 'faking' Sarin numbers, but this is the type of reasoning behind having the stone shipped first to an independant appraiser.

Just letting the vendor know that is your intention would also ally any possibilities of 'faking".

virginia1

Rough_Rock
Are there any advantages to having the stone shipped directly to an independent appraiser as opposed to taking it to one myself after I get it?

Along those lines, I seem to be having difficulty finding any independent appraisers in the Charlottesville, VA area. In fact, it is tough to track down an appraiser at all--most jewelry stores here have someone that "comes in" once a week or once every two weeks. Any suggestions on where I might track down an appraiser in the central virginia area, or what my options for shipping directly to an appraiser would be?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
The advantage to having the vendor send the stone directly to an independent appraiser is that it not only saves in shipping charges, but some vendors will send the diamond to an independent appraiser before you pay for it.

We often recommend that consumers use the services of David Atlas of www.gemappraisers.com. He has written appraising articles for this site and posts here as oldminer, helping consumers. David also is a recognized expert in evaluation of round and fancy shaped diamonds and developed the AGA diamond cut grades. Many vendors are happy to ship stones directly to Dave, since he is widely recognized in this industry and highly regarded.

David also has an ideal scope which he can use to help evaluate your diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results