shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Slip of the Tongue in India

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
President Bill Boyajian addressed a group of prominent Indian Diamondtaires in Mumbai (Bombay) on Tuesday evening. He got a bit of a shock to see me arrive among the manufacturers and marketing divisions of these $100 Million plus companies.

Martin Rapaport was also there, sitting with Bill, and saw the funny side of “the Cut Geek from DownUnder”, as he called out on greeting me. Martin runs a sizable GIA take in window, shipping diamonds under Customs Bond to USA for grading, and then the stones must be returned to India.

I had hoped for some news about the GIA Cut Grading, but there was very little in the brief presentation which was mainly about the new GIA school in India and the negotiations with the Govt. of India for a new grading la there. However, when Bill worked the room, he let slip a bit. He was allaying fears of the manufacturers present and said “of the stones you are currently sending to GIA the majority of them are in the Excellent and, err, aha, the two top grades.” Thus two things were confirmed in my mind:

1. The grades will be the same as their current Symmetry and Polish grades Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor.
2. If the majority are in the 2 top grades, then that is a bit of a worry.

Bill also said that 65% tables are favored in the Far East, and he inferred that they would be candidates for the top grade.

When we first arrived Martin came and joined my group and told us he (Rapaport Corporation) is suing De Beers and Russia (presumably Alrosa) for price fixing. I am sure it will all be in the next issue of Rap, and on-line. But the brief version is he examined publicly available loan documents for an Alrosa fund raising and found that they have an agreement with De Beers that any rough goods Alrosa do not sell will be purchased by De Beers at their ‘book’ value (the De Beers rough prices book). Martins lawyers agree with him that using such a floor price is tantamount to price fixing. The case has been lodged with the EC (European Community).

Bill_and_Martin.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bout time someone stood up to DeBeers.
Havent they been buying up russian rough for years to keep it off the market??

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2005 8:11:42 AM
Author:Garry H (Cut Nut)

The case has been lodged with the EC (European Community).
Noooo ! Don''t they know this year''s intl. trade agenda is half made of anti-trust law tweaking !?
9.gif

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hi garry,

you may remember me from posting about a month ago regarding purchasing an engagement diamond from my home country of india. i found some online contact information for some stores in mumbai so i emailed them giving my search parameters for what i wanted. i had told them that i was only looking for diamonds graded by GIA and not by EGL, IGI, etc., some of the stores returned my emailed stating they didn''t even sell GIA stones? one diamond store responded by saying many of the diamond stores don''t even carry GIA stones? is this true? it has been very hard for me to get in contact with the diamond stores in india. im going over there this summer and wanted to check around and price some diamonds , however, if they don''t carry a great selection of GIA diamonds, i won''t waste my time. of course, if GIA is growing in popularity and India carries all these quality "cut" diamonds then i wouldn''t mind waiting a little while to check stuff out....any thoughts?

jason

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jason you should be able to find IGI H&A''s certs in India. They grade very well in the Mumbai lab in my experiance.
But you will not be saving money compared to online.

Storm, I will not bite about the mythical 10 storey safe full of diamonds in Charter House.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for that info mate. I take it you''ll be in Vegas this year?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Heisted from another post:

Leonid and I have discussed a pricescope convention.
Anyone interested?

John the minor facet indexing / painting / digging etc experimentation in India is mind blowing.
Almost every stone they make has a painted or dug out girdle done for the right reasons.

John they are experimenting on thousands of stones a day, and I am pleased to be a part of it since some of my conversations last year led to these new developments.
Yes Lil and Wink - the crusade is gathering pace.

Unlike Brian, Paul and others, my goal is to bring more sparkle to the regular little John buying a 1/3rd ct engagement ring in the Maul, because that is where there is more to be gained. I am pleased to say it is really happening. I am seeing 1/3rd''s TLB''s (trade for orrible brownish off white) that sell for a few hundred dollars a carat cut to exceptional approaching 8* standards.

Your energy and positive contribution is infectious, Garry.

A Pricescope convention sounds more than interesting, btw...though the little details of justifying attendance and travel for a guy without a professional investment may be challenging. Consider Washington DC, where you may want to simultaneously lobby a congressman for some good purpose (although foreign nationals from Australia and Canada may have limited sway).

Wishing you well.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of my very best Aussie friends was given a sucondment (spelling? - his company had him placed) position for 1.5 years as a US congresmans adviser. Strange things have happened. But he did already have a high level military CIA and ASIO clearance.

Too early to even think about a convention - but it would be great to meet you all.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
secondment

Garry, haven''t you sold enough IdealScopes to host everyone on your Lear by now? We could all jet to Antwerp for a diamond tour and B-Scope debate, crash at Paul''s, then go for Belgian waffles.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
ooo belgium sounds fun...

I''ll brew anythying you guys need... beer, wine.. i can do it all - cept distill. Just take a look at the contents of my cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results