shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA short cert?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Springles

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and this is my first diamond purchase.
twirl.gif

Right now, I''m seriously considering a 62-point D VS2 for my fiancee, and the brick-and-mortar wholesaler says it''s GIA certified, and has generously photocopied the certification for us, which looks like a GIA job card that should accompany a Dossier.

The jeweler that I dealt with said she couldn''t find the full certificate (though I only asked once to see it), so I''m a little bit worried. My preliminary internet research suggests that what I have (a photocopy of a thin strip of paper with the stats and a chopped-off "GIA - Gem Trade Laboratory" logo) is the job card, and that the vendor should have the cert that accompanied this card.

Now, I''ve visited this dealer before, they''re cutters and most of their stones are certed by EGL Israel (some mini-certs, some full certs), but this GIA-certed stone stands out above the rest I''ve seen and I''m curious whether it''s possible that GIA does any "short certs" for dealer/wholesaler types. It''s doubtful, but if this isn''t the case, I''m demanding the Dossier report before buying.

I don''t have reason to think that this dealer is trying to pull a fast one (we''ve nearly chosen several other stones and the jeweler went over the inclusion plots that came with the full EGL certs, and everything seems to be in order), but so far everything that can me measured visually (color, clarity) checks out, and the dimensions, as measured by precision calipers, match. I know this doesn''t mean much, but it''s a start.

And finally, the question -- does GIA offer some sort of short cert (something like an EGL pre-cert or mini-cert)? Should I settle for anything less than seeing the real Dossier?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what you have seen (why is the logo 'chopped?'), but there are such reports (smaller and without inclusion plots): these are cheaper and faster to obtain, which would make sense for a stone below 1ct. For a VS2 stone, the inclusion plot would not be really a must since there is no way that stone is going to have visible inclusions. If the piece stands out for its sparkle and has no other issues (say, an overly thin girdle which may may be prone to get damaged during setting and wearing) the absence of the full cert would not worry me. EGL certs may overgrade color & clarity (as buyers and professionals have noted here on Pricescope) so GIA's word on color and clarity is a good thing to have. It would be nice to have extra stats on the stone (such as crown and pavilion angles), but if the piece stands out for you, this is really what all the measuring should result in.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yep - GIA does an abbreviated version called a dossier that gives the specs of the diamond but doesn't have the inclusion plots.

They are typically issued on stones of less than a carat because they cost less than a full-scope, traditional grading report.

Springles

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/22/2003 11:56:44 PM aljdewey wrote:

Yep - GIA does an abbreviated version called a dossier that gives the specs of the diamond but doesn't have the inclusion plots.

They are typically issued on stones of less than a carat because they cost less than a full-scope, traditional grading report.

----------------

I understand the difference between the GIA Diamond Grading Report and the GIA Diamond Dossier, and this is neither. I have seen a similar thread on another forum talking about what I have (which is a thin strip of paper with part of the GIA name).

Is there a third type of GIA document that I'm unaware of?

Here's an image (they gave me a photocopy of what they said was the cert information).

report.jpg

Springles

Rough_Rock
Is there anyone who ordered a GIA cert that knows how to interpret the above information? The salesperson said that they didn't laser-inscribe diamonds, but the "Inscription" row above seems to suggest otherwise.

Does "Inscription" mean that it is inscribed?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
This is not a report per se but it's a part of another paper that comes back with a stone when it's returned from the lab, that contains the essential information from the report. You should ask to see the report, but it will likely not contain any more information if it's a Dossier.

Yes the stone is inscribed
1.gif

One of the pros can tell you what this paper is for, I'm not completely sure. Something tells me that the GIA may return this as prelimimary information to a large customer who requests this before the actual report is issued, or maybe it simply accompanies the stone in the lab as a way to track who owns it (they've cut off the name and address of the client on your copy).

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
This is not a cert, just a part of cert. When you get the cert from GIA you tear this part of the cert off and keep it to yourself, customer get the other ( bigger) part.

The stone is always inscriptioned ( laser). If vendor is trying to push you a stone without inscription it is another stone. I.E. he is trying to utilize the cert twice on two stones.

Ask for the original Dossier and be sure the inscription is there, and yes, some may inscribe a another stone with same number ( fake ).

Do not believe when they say they do not inscribe the stones, its the GIA who has done it to original stone.

Iiro

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Sibelius, I took a look at one of these just now and you're right, it appears to have been attached to the bottom of the report at one time...there are perforations and the lamination lines up exactly. But I've never had one come back still attached. I'm still curious what the trade uses these for?

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
I keep them with customers file.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes they put them in the briefke (parcel paper) for quick reference

johan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results