shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Shape and Cutting style on Asschers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RLG

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I thought I read on an old post that the GIA grades Royal Asscher stones as Cut-cornered square step cut stones. I''ve been looking at Asshers and found some with GIA reports listed as such. Are only royal asschers graded this way and non-branded are square emeralds? I have seen a GIA report for a royal and it noted that it was inscribed with the assher family crown. These reports did not note any special laser inscriptions. I''m adding some sample links below. If this is not ok please let me know and I will remove them.
Thanks.

Cut cornered square step cut http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/show_cert_window.php?type=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kaWFtb25kcy5uZXQvVUYvMzkyMTYvQ2VydHMvMS4wMUFTRVZTMkdJQUQ2OS4yVDY2&item_id=AA218043

square emerald cut http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/show_cert_window.php?type=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kaWFtb25kcy5uZXQvVUYvMTMyMjcvQ2VydHMvNjE2Ny0wMw==&item_id=AA198958

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are some clones out there that the cutter ignores the RA patent and cuts them anyway.
Some are ok and some are pretty bad.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi RLG!
35.gif

The first stone has 5 step cuts to the pavilion whereas the second has 3 step cuts. Also, the schematic of the first diamond shows much bigger clipped corners than the second. I''m not sure which would be the controlling factor for the change in designation. Good question.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2007 8:58:30 PM
Author: starryeyed

Hi RLG!
35.gif

The first stone has 5 step cuts to the pavilion whereas the second has 3 step cuts. Also, the schematic of the first diamond shows much bigger clipped corners than the second. I''m not sure which would be the controlling factor for the change in designation. Good question.
Extra step-facets on the pavilion is the factor that changes the name from square EC to cut cornered sq. step cut...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 2:44:17 AM
Author: DiaGem
Extra step-facets on the pavilion is the factor that changes the name from square EC to cut cornered sq. step cut...
Hi DiamGem. Thanks for the info. I believe the stones I''ve seen with 4 step-cuts are also called square emeralds. So it''s going from 4 to 5 that changes the designation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results