shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA re-submitting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
(That thread was too long)

I mentioned that the first jeweler didn't agree with GIA's report. So much in fact, that he did call GIA. The rep was going to have the actual person who graded it call him back, but that never happened, and I never followed up. (I thought that was amazing that a jeweler would call GIA because he didn't agree with their report!)

diamatuer

Rough_Rock
Let's think about this: You don't agree with your E VS2 rating and think it should be a D SI1:errrr: ... just thinking out loud here ... both grades are one grade apart on the two most subjective factors of diamond grading i.e., they are at least close ... thinking, thinking ... you also have the more favorable rating ... hmmmmmmm ... if the grades are changed, only a laminated piece of paper with a hologram will physically change, the stone is what it is ... uhhhhh ... I assume you will keep it forever and that other than some grading confusion you have an extremely beautiful stone.

What do you gain from having GIA re-evaluate and change its rating? Lowering your insurance costs? paying less for the stone?

Maybe you should try to exchange it for one you feel more comfortable with (if possible) - this is an emotional purchase after all.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the written "thoughts".

It's not returnable, and even if it were, I most likely wouldn't. It's not an engagement ring, so there's no real sentimental attachment either. I just want to know what I have. That might sound ridiculous, but with all the talk here, everyone seems to know exactly what they have or are buying, with all of the reports, tables, graphs, etc. I agree that it's important, and just feel I should also know about my stone too. Guess it's not for anything other than my own knowledge (thinking out loud..like I just bought this new car, and it's beautiful, but I don't know anything about it - it could be a 6 cylinder or it could be a 4, it runs, so who cares? I just want to know.) And if it weren't for the speculation, I never would have questioned the GIA report.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Tara, GIA has AT LEAST 2 gemologists grade every stone, with a senior grader checking the stone if the 2 don't agree. It's a pretty solid system, which tends to run in the direction of under-grading rather than over-grading.

I would trust the GIA's opinion over the one-man part-time graders who think your stone is not graded correctly. The GIA graders each grade between 20 to 40 stones per day, five days a week, fifty weeks a year. That is a heckuva lot of experience, and I can tell you that kind of constant grading makes you sharper, more focused and more consistent. It's pretty hard to duplicate that kind of experience outside of a lab.

In my entire career, with all the GIA cert stones I've examined, not one readily comes to my mind that I considered over-graded.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results