shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA (or other lab) reports for small colored diamonds

SFGuy

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

As part of an e-ring and w-band set I'm having made, I'm using pink diamond side stones. There will be 6 pink diamonds in total, 8 points each (so 0.48 ctw). On the jeweler's advice, I'm also purchasing a 7th pink diamond as a spare, due to difficulties with color-matching should I need to replace one of them in the future.

I'm not sure of the exact color description of the stones, but the jeweler said something about "true pink" or "real pink." They are definitely not light pink, as I rejected those pretty early on.

I'm purchasing the setting and side stones from a local B&M jeweler, who already has a few of them on consignment. I'll be spending about $1k per stone (so $7k total for the pink diamonds). As with most diamonds of that size, there's no lab certificate for them, just the evaluation of the wholesaler.

I'm wondering if it could possibly make sense to ask for them to be sent to GIA/AGL for evaluation? If so, how much would the cost be, and what would the turn-around time be? I think my jeweler mentioned something about being able to pay for a rush with GIA on some other (larger, white) diamond he was sending to GIA. Any idea how that works? If I have them sent out, which lab should I ask for?

Looking for some input here before I make silly requests of my jeweler. Thanks.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can get a GIA coloured diamond ID report for diamonds that size - just includes shape/size/colour info (origin/description/distribution) no clarity/cut/etc

I'll leave details for the FCD folk, but I think most of them are at a conference so it'll likely be a couple of days til they get to it

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
If I were spending $7,000 on these stones I would want to at least verify that they are natural and not color enhanced. As Yssie said the GIA reports will verify the color. The reports will cost $700USD ($100 each) plus shipping. I would ask if the jeweller could cover some of the cost, it sounds like you are spending some serious $$$ and the worst that they could say is no.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
What are the details on the pinks? Are they intense, vivid, fancy light, fancy?

7K is a bit steep.

For comparison - http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/3103.htm

nearly exactly what you're describing and half the price. They are fancy light pink and from a very reputable company.

Diamonds by Lauren may have some melee sized pinks in stock too. You could contact them and ask.

Both of those are companies I trust with FCD's. I don't know about your local jeweler or where they're sourcing their stones so I can't comment on theres.

Good luck and pink melee really adds a bit of WOW to any design :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to Davi.
For $1000 less you can change the design and get 14 4-pointers that are "graded" Fancy Intense Pink by a GG I know and respect at Leibish, from whom I've bought over 15 FCDs.
Also their GG says these are VS/SI clarity.
I trust them implicitly now.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4966.htm

GIA can grade FCDs down to 1-point with their abbreviated report called, Color Diamond Identification and Origin Report.
It won't contain grades for clarity, polish and symmetry, florescence or have inclusion plots or table %.
It will however tell you the most important things to protect you from being overcharged . . . whether the material is synthetic or mined, color is of natural origin or treated, GIA color grade, weight and dimensions.
http://www.gia.edu/lab-reports-services/diamonds/diamond-reports/index.html
Their fee schedule below says under 15-points it will cost $98 per stone, which is why it is usually considered too expensive to bother with for sets like this.

Still, it's your money and your transaction.
If you are the type of person who MUST be 10000% certain you can tell the jeweler you will pay for the GIA reports and accept the time delay.
BTW, you don't have to be a jeweler to send diamonds to GIA.
You can send them to GIA yourself and avoid the extra charge the jeweler may add on to GIA's $98 fee.

If you want to just trust the vendor's word on grades it is EXTRA important that your seller is worthy of trust AND competent to grade FCDs.
With FCDs there is a lot of money at stake and sometimes tiny differences in color can (well, should) make a huge difference in the price.
For example, just a hint of brown (sometimes undetectable to untrained eyes) could be passed off as pure pink and you'll get ripped off.
Leibish specializes in FCDs and has around 1000 in their inventory.
They are not going to risk their reputation by over-grading.
If I had to buy FCDs with no report Lebish is the only one I'd trust so far.

BTW I called AGL in NY and they do not grade FCDs.
GIA is the ONLY lab I'd use for FCDs.

Screen shot 2011-06-10 at 11.23.35 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-10 at 11.50.05 AM.png

SFGuy

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the long delay, and thanks to everyone who replied.

They are "Natural Intense Pure Pink." I did compare the pricing I was getting from my jeweler to Leibish and the pricing was identical at the time of my comparison ($12k / carat).

I ended up not having time to get the GIA certification done for these, sadly. Unfortunately, GIA was not able to accommodate a rush request right now. However, for now, I'm getting detailed documentation from both my jeweler and their supplier (whom they vouch for 100%) on the quality and authenticity of the stones.

I'm also planning on sending the ring off to GIA after I propose (assuming she lets me!) to have them certify the colored diamonds. In looking through the GIA materials, I found that there seems to be two services that they offer for FCDs:

GIA Colored Diamond Identification and Origin Report
The GIA Colored Diamond Identification and Origin Report describes the color grade of a colored diamond as well as its origin of color (natural or treated, such as HPHT processed or artificially irradiated). As an optional service, a full color image of the diamond may also be included.

Both mounted and loose natural colored diamonds of any size can be submitted for this report service. The GIA Colored Diamond Identification and Origin Report is not issued for synthetics, simulants, or diamonds that have undergone unstable treatments, such as fracture-filled or coated diamonds. Any evidence of other treatment is prominently disclosed in the report

Quality Assurance Service
With an increase in treated and synthetic diamonds in the marketplace, GIA now offers testing for loose and mounted diamonds in the smaller size ranges to help you quickly make determinations about items being offered to you. Available for D-Z and Fancy color diamonds 0.20 carats and less and black diamonds 0.50 carats and less, this service offers tests to determine whether the gem material is diamond or not; natural or synthetic; natural or treated; or to identify specific treatments. Results are presented in a table format.

The good news is that GIA's site indicates that either report can be performed on mounted stones, so that makes it easier for me.

The first is what Kenny mentioned and copied pricing for previously. The second is substantially cheaper ($25 / stone), and seems like it might be good enough. Does anyone have any experience with that service? Since they say that they will report or natural vs. treated, and identify treatments, can I assume that color treatments fall into that category?

Thanks.

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Quality Assurance Service
With an increase in treated and synthetic diamonds in the marketplace, GIA now offers testing for loose and mounted diamonds in the smaller size ranges to help you quickly make determinations about items being offered to you. Available for D-Z and Fancy color diamonds 0.20 carats and less and black diamonds 0.50 carats and less, this service offers tests to determine whether the gem material is diamond or not; natural or synthetic; natural or treated; or to identify specific treatments. Results are presented in a table format.

The good news is that GIA's site indicates that either report can be performed on mounted stones, so that makes it easier for me.

The first is what Kenny mentioned and copied pricing for previously. The second is substantially cheaper ($25 / stone), and seems like it might be good enough. Does anyone have any experience with that service? Since they say that they will report or natural vs. treated, and identify treatments, can I assume that color treatments fall into that category?

Thanks.[/quote]

This is a relatively new service that had only just started as I was leaving the GIA, so I can only give a broad overview. But your thinking is correct they will try to to identify if the diamonds are treated color or not. I would make the phone call to the identification department before sending your rings in just to make sure that pink diamonds fall within this service, as each color has different possible treatments and the mounting will block some viewing angles and preclude some tests.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results