shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA online courses

jezebelle

Rough_Rock
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, this was the most appropriate area I could think of.

I've been seriously considering doing some distance education courses with GIA. Online courses are basically my only option at this time in my life, but I'm wary. My husband and I are business owners and eventually, I'd love to get into the jewelry industry. I'm looking into getting a job with a jeweler so I can gain experience, but I want to be fully educated. I know the GIA is trusted, but I'm wondering what other people's opinions are regarding their distance education program..

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm a graduate of the distance education program and it's served me pretty well. Under the right circumstances I highly recommend it.

That said, I strongly recommending getting a job in the industry FIRST, before signing up the the full GIA program. Take a class or 2, like the 'diamond essentials' course if you want, but get your feet wet in the industry before you throw big bucks at GIA. As I'm sure you've noticed, this is NOT an inexpensive program. Get a job on the sales floor, or accounting, or security, or whatever the employer needs at the time. That'll give you the opportunity to see what goes on, what people do and what you might like and not like.

theclaw

Rough_Rock
experience is always better than a degree.

schoenfeld

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,
You may also want to visit www.gem-a.com as an alternative to GIA if you are considering distance learning.

Regards

Ephraim Schoenfeld

gino rosa

Rough_Rock
Trade
I did it and recommend!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results