shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA mistake

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

recognize

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been searching for the past month for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. Its been a frustrating process for me given the budget, available diamonds, and trust with jewelers. I finally decided that I want a cushion on a micropave setting just like the one on the harry winston website. I also found the diamond that I am happy with and what I hope my gf will enjoy.

But there is one problem...when I visited my jeweler to check out the stone he had picked out for me one of the cushion stated a carat size of 2.5 with measurements of 8.9x7.5x5.0 but he tells me right off the bat that the measurement is wrong. He tells me that the GIA has made a mistake and the correct measurement is 8.1x7.5x5.0. Has anyone else heard of/experienced such a mistake from the GIA? Should I be nervous about this particular stone?

Since I am in nyc I along with my nice jeweler took the stone to GIA for reverification and still waiting for results.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You can verify the GIA report on their website if you have the report # and the carat weight. That would be the first place I''d look. I''d be very surprised to hear of a major typo on a report.

BTW, were you rounding the numbers? The GIA report should report the millimeters to the one hundredth, not the tenth.

It sounds fishy to me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read you were getting it reverified, let us know what happens.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/7/2009 12:55:48 PM
Author:recognize

Since I am in nyc I along with my nice jeweler took the stone to GIA for reverification and still waiting for results.

Good choice. Let us know how it comes out.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) (ICGA)AGS NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A typo on a report sometimes happens.

I still remember the case of a stone with bruted girdle, where the report said that the girdle was faceted. This was a dossier, where GIA laser-inscribed the report-number on the girdle, so there could be no mix-up of the stone.

The problem is that many cutters, when receiving back the reports, do not pay attention to these ''details'', and very often, some retailer is suddenly faced with such an anomaly.

Live long,

recognize

Rough_Rock
Yes. I rounded the numbers to 1 decimal place.
I checked on the GIA website and competing online vendor sites for the GIA report and they all show the larger measurement.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be curious to find out where the error lay!

recognize

Rough_Rock
Last week, I along with my jeweler went to the GIA to pick up the re-evaluated diamond.
And received a new diamond grading report with the corrected measurements and table. No other changes were made regarding carat, color, clarity.

Learning the basics of the diamond purchasing process has been an arduous task but in the end the decision to purchase the diamond has been made.
Cant wait to see the finish product in the setting in about a weeks time!

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad it was just an honest mistake! Very wise of the jeweler to have it corrected! Please come back with pictures for us!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Glad this was corrected.

In the last 5 years, I have only seen one GIA report with the wrong measurements and one colored stone
AGTA report with the wrong year on the report. We''re only human-oids.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

MajorlyChic

Rough_Rock
I just went through the exact same process (minus the problem with the GIA cert) with my fiance in hunt of a 2ct cushion on a HW micropave setting. It is a stunnnnning ring and I think your girlfriend will be THRILLED with it
30.gif

Who did you go to for the setting? Did you keep the ring as thin and dainty as the original HW?

My fiance let me be a part of the process in choosing my dream ring, but then ended up proposing with the ring before I thought we were even done with the hunt! Sneaky guy....So he did surprise me in the end
36.gif

You MUST post photos as soon as it comes!!!!

Congrats and good luck with the proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results