shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA M vs GIA K why does the K seem more yellow?

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
I'm confused about GIA color grading and I would love some insight.

It was my understanding that they are top notch for grading and just below AGS.

I was looking at a stone classified as an M. It is yellow but not shockingly yellow. Then I was looking at an L stone and it seems quite a bit more yellow.

My question is do they sometimes grade too leniently while sometimes grading more harshly? How would I know what the color really is with so much variance. I do prefer warmer stones but thinking down the road if I sell or updgrade.

Attached are the examples. First and second is the L stones and the third and fourth are M. IMG_8119.png

Attachments

• IMG_8112.png
    IMG_8112.png
    417.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8115.png
    IMG_8115.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8114.png
    IMG_8114.png
    381.9 KB · Views: 13

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
It is based on how they appear face down on a white field, so unless we're able to see them from that angle in the supplied images we aren't able to assess the way they were color graded

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Different photo/video setups will show color differently, even from the same vendor they have multiple setups and some different locations.
Often the lighting for the same setup varies because of poorly controlled ambient light and environment.
For example you can tell what color shirt the operator is wearing in many videos because they dont enforce a dress code.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A more complex consideration: the color you see varies by how much material the light travels through so even if the photo setup was perfect, slightly different angles are going to show different color even for the same diamond..

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am a fan of M-T and beyond yellows, they are a yummy butter yellow that just speaks to me.
Some are very white-ish in some lighting which gives you something else to play with for hours.
The browns with similar depth of color are hit and miss depending on undertone. Some are awesome.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's just lighting differences, and the lighting is really emphasizing tint (to try and make people buy colorless diamonds, which cost more, is my guess). My L isn't that yellow at all in normal viewing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results