shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Laser Inscription...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drm31078

Rough_Rock
I am about to buy a diamond that is GIA certified with no laser inscription. I am having the jewler send the diamond back to GIA (so I think) to get the diamond laser inscribed. He said it would only take 1.5 weeks. I spoke to GIA and they said it usually takes at least 3 weeks. So I am concerned he is getting someone else to inscribe the diamond...GIA said that they need the original report with the diamond for verification, then after they inscribe it they send a new report indicating the laser inscription. So as long as I get the new GIA cert indicating the laser inscription and I check the inscription on the diamond I should be getting what I paid for right? Am I paranoid? I am going to call and make sure.

N8-Star

Rough_Rock
as long as you are sending back the original report and they are issuing a new one... same diamond specs... the only addition will be the remark of the laser id #... you should be good to go. I wouldn''t be too worried...

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If the stone is inscribed with the GIA logo and the report number, it has been done by GIA.

Rockdoc

drm31078

Rough_Rock
So I spoke to the jewler today....he said he was just going to send it to GIA to get the laser inscription without getting an updated report. To me that says he was not really going to send it back to GIA because GIA sends a new report with the laser inscription number on it and it takes a long time. I told him I wanted a new report with the laser inscription number on it. He didn''t understand why, but I said thats how I wanted it. So he said it was going to take longer like GIA said it would, but he would do it. So I think I am getting my way now...we''ll see in 3 weeks when I get it back. He thought I wanted it sooner, so he was just going to get the inscription done. I am guessing that I would be getting the right diamond either way, but he thought he was helping me out by having a thrid party do the laser inscription to get it done faster. As long as it get''s done the way I want it too, then I don''t have a problem. GIA does the laser incription with GIA cert indicating laser inscription...bottomline.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I once asked about this also and from what I understand GIA puts that nr on the certificate and the certificate looks a bit different because they only put it in one place in the report and not on the left side of the report if its inscribed.Also to keep in mind apparently laser inscription can be easily polished off..

drm31078

Rough_Rock
At least I will know with some certainty that the diamond and the report match when I pick up the diamond since I will beable to see the inscription on the diamond and it matches the report that has the "laser inscription" line item on it. That is good enough for me at this point. Cuz GIA verifies the diamond before inscribing. I understand that it can be polished off...but I will be carefull when getting repairs done to ensure that it is there before and after.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is the size and clarity of the diamond?

it doesn''t help to lock the front door of your house if you leave all of the windows wide open.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When a dealer or an individual asks us to laser engrave a GIA, AGS , EGL, or other lab cert number on a diamond it is our strict policy to require that we have the ORIGINAL cert in our possession. We then inspect for color, UV fluorescence, clarity and measurements before we engrave the diamond. We don''t use official logos, only lettering. I think ths policy protects everyone adequately whilte providing a very fast turn around time.

The official way you want it done is probably the very best way to go, but not the quickest or most cost effective, either.

drm31078

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info...he was probably trying to minimize cost and time like you said and have a third party laser inscribe it. For my own peace of mind, I would rather have GIA do it...

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 11:15:50 AM
Author: scarleta
I once asked about this also and from what I understand GIA puts that nr on the certificate and the certificate looks a bit different because they only put it in one place in the report and not on the left side of the report if its inscribed.Also to keep in mind apparently laser inscription can be easily polished off..

What costs are usually involved in polishing off a laser inscription?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Polishing off a laser inscription can be as low as about $50 to a couple hundred bucks. It depends on diamond size, risk, length of inscription, speed required, etc. Also, if any measureable weight is lost in the process, this also becomes a cost.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks now we all know, I had no idea? What an education we are getting here..Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results