shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA inscription visible from top

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fygar

Rough_Rock
I am considering buying a nice 1.7 F/VS1 round-cut diamond but have a few concerns. Table/depth seem to fall in the ideal range (57.1% table / 60.7% depth) It has a GIA inscribed number on the girdle. When examining carefully for inclusions with a 10x loupe, I was able to see the GIA inscription reflecting and somewhat enlarged through the top of the diamond. The jeweler was surprised and had said that GIA puts the inscription on the girdle because that way it doesn't affect the characteristics of the stone. He had never heard of anyone being able to see the inscription from the top.

But if I can see that black etching through the top, doesn't it affect the brilliance or fire? Is it normal to be able to see the GIA inscription reflecting across some facets?

The symmetry of this stone was "Good" (not Excellent or Very Good). Can this cause that?

Also, the girdle was "Medium to Thick". Does this create "less than perfect" angles such that the portion of the girdle where the GIA inscription was etched became reflected?

Any experts out there, please give me some advise! Thanks!
:confused:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would "pass" on a diamond where the inscription can be viewed from other than on the side. Something about the placement or the size of the lettering is wrong.

Inclusions or laser inscriptions in the girdle, visible from the top are to be included in clarity grades. I have never seen one like that. It is a rare problem.

Go on to another stone or have the lasering removed and redone in a tiny font size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results