shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA grading report vs. dossier

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mike283225

Rough_Rock
Hi. I have a 1.01ct diamond that I''m looking to sell. Unfortunately I no longer have the original GIA cert and am thinking about getting it re-graded. Considering I''m purchasing the report for resale purposes (either to a dealer or to an individual customer), should I get the GIA diamond grading report (with plotted inclusions) for $100 or the diamond dossier (without plotted inclusion but with inscription) for $81?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 1:02:20 PM
Author:mike283225
Hi. I have a 1.01ct diamond that I''m looking to sell. Unfortunately I no longer have the original GIA cert and am thinking about getting it re-graded. Considering I''m purchasing the report for resale purposes (either to a dealer or to an individual customer), should I get the GIA diamond grading report (with plotted inclusions) for $100 or the diamond dossier (without plotted inclusion but with inscription) for $81?
For the price difference I would go for the full report.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Lorelei...

as an untrained consumer, if I am looking at 2 different potential buys 1 with a full report which i see plotted diagrams showing inclusions and such, and the other with a dossier without the plots, i would go for the full report which to me gives a better peace of mind... even if i have to pay a little more...

so since you''re selling, you might want to take that into consideration seeing the price difference between the 2 report types is actually not that significant compared to the price of the diamond..

just my 2 cents though...

mike283225

Rough_Rock
That's what I was also thinking, my only concern is that the dossier comes with an inscription so a consumer can be 100% sure the report matches the diamond whereas the standard grading report does not.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
The full report will also say that it has been inscribed with (number)....

mike283225

Rough_Rock
True but I don''t think it''s inscribed so that will cost additional vs. being included in the dossier price

beach

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you are saying now. Another option is that you can also have an independent appraiser do an apraisal and act as a mediator in the sale and gaurantee that the stone is as represented to your potential buyer. Some people will want an appraisal even if you have a report with inscription. It just depends on the buyer. Hopefully others will chime in with more advice.

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
It''s a 1ct diamond
IMO
I''d spend the money for the full report and laser inscription.
The paper trail will be worth the extra cost and will net more money when selling.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results