shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Gemologists

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I never really looked into what comprises this designation, I'm assuming a lot of talk about types of inclusions, color, etc. but what do they teach their peeps about light return?

I'm considering getting USAA insurance so I can have my ring with me overseas (I really miss it!!) and they mentioned that their people (GIAcan help. Well, we all know that not all 2.71 carat JVS2 cushion cuts are the same lol Not by a LONG shot (in fact, it's hard to find two that are the same!). I am assuming that they would at least be able to differentiate between an omb and a modified... but do they use any tools (like aset) for light study?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The majority of appraisers will not have a sufficient handle on cushion shapes to separate a high performance variety from a more standard modern cushion. Many might call a modern cushion even an old mine cushion because they have not examined many such stones. If you have your original receipt and documentation and are willing to show it to the appraiser, they ought to be able to make a proper evaluation at current market levels for you to get the proper coverage from an insuror. Possibly, you can get a free update from the vendor where the diamond came from. Insurance companies generally are primarily concerned with the dollar amount and how much they will get in premiums. USAA is an exceptional company and accuracy of description along with a proper value will make you very safe.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cehrabehra|1308966607|2954540 said:
Okay, I never really looked into what comprises this designation, I'm assuming a lot of talk about types of inclusions, color, etc. but what do they teach their peeps about light return?

I'm considering getting USAA insurance so I can have my ring with me overseas (I really miss it!!) and they mentioned that their people (GIAcan help. Well, we all know that not all 2.71 carat JVS2 cushion cuts are the same lol Not by a LONG shot (in fact, it's hard to find two that are the same!). I am assuming that they would at least be able to differentiate between an omb and a modified... but do they use any tools (like aset) for light study?
Hi Sara,

GIA lab doesn't do any kind of light analysis on cushions at all (Old Miners either), but your appraiser should be able to help if you ask. If you're looking for some specific sorts of evaluations, talk to them up front about what you want done. GIA doesn't even teach this in their classes but an appraser who is on top of their continuing ed should be able to help you out.

USAA wil accept just about anything and what you submit is what will be used as the purchase order for replacement if it becomes necessary. If you've got a special cutting job, make sure it's documented you your replacement will be the cheapest JVS2 they can find.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1309098758|2955363 said:
Cehrabehra|1308966607|2954540 said:

Hi Sara,

GIA lab doesn't do any kind of light analysis on cushions at all (Old Miners either), but your appraiser should be able to help if you ask. If you're looking for some specific sorts of evaluations, talk to them up front about what you want done. GIA doesn't even teach this in their classes but an appraser who is on top of their continuing ed should be able to help you out.

USAA wil accept just about anything and what you submit is what will be used as the purchase order for replacement if it becomes necessary. If you've got a special cutting job, make sure it's documented you your replacement will be the cheapest JVS2 they can find.

actually I think USAA will give you a cash out also, so you could source your own stone. at least this is my understanding.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Each deal is based on the contract for that deal but every USAA policy I've seen is a replacement type policy. They are agreeing to replace with 'like kind and quality' or words to that effect, or to pay cash in an amount that would be reasonably expected to cost THEM to replace the item as long as this is equal to or less than the limit of the policy. They will not, in general, cash out for the policy limit. I'm not picking on USAA by the way. This is very typical in insurance contracts.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey thanks guys! Dave, now that you write it out, I should have known that. I guess nothing has changed... I guess I had hoped it would.

Neil, you confirmed what I thought. I'm glad my cert says OMB. At least gives me that. I'm having the stone reset so I will need a new appraisal. Also to update value for insurance. It isn't insured right now and has been sitting in a safety box for 1.5 years and I'm dying to wear it again.

I have never seen USAA mentioned here before, but it is my understanding theywill insure overseas. My friend has hers insured throughthem. Not sure if there is a value cap but I know it's good to 15k.

One last thing, if their people are helping you replace the stone, will my addy and idealscope images be considered strong enough evidence for me to reject inferior stones? Will their understanding if how a round performs at leasthelp me?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
We insure through USAA, they call it a valuable personal property policy. 3 years ago I did lose my e-ring and it is their option to replace or pay out. First they look to see if they can replace for the insured amount. In my case, they could not- I was underinsured because I had not had my ring re-appraised since purchased (2000). Once they came to the conclusion it could not be replaced for the policy amount they gave me the cash value of the policy which I could do whatever I wanted with (gave me a check).
They will definitely insure a ring if you are overseas, and the claims process was easy peasy with them- literally I just had to make a phone call, do a recorded statement, and less then 2 weeks later I had my check in hand. I have my replacement ring now, and you bet I will be making sure the appraisal is current this time!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
nfowife|1309276199|2957053 said:
We insure through USAA, they call it a valuable personal property policy. 3 years ago I did lose my e-ring and it is their option to replace or pay out. First they look to see if they can replace for the insured amount. In my case, they could not- I was underinsured because I had not had my ring re-appraised since purchased (2000). Once they came to the conclusion it could not be replaced for the policy amount they gave me the cash value of the policy which I could do whatever I wanted with (gave me a check).
They will definitely insure a ring if you are overseas, and the claims process was easy peasy with them- literally I just had to make a phone call, do a recorded statement, and less then 2 weeks later I had my check in hand. I have my replacement ring now, and you bet I will be making sure the appraisal is current this time!

so they gave you a check for the value of the policy?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, BECAUSE they could not replace what was lost (a 2.04 F/SI1 in a platinum setting) for the value of my policy at the time I lost it. It was their option to replace first, or give me the $$. Not my choice, their's, per the policy.
We have USAA for all of our insurance and banking needs and have been extremely happy with their customer service. They are exceptional.

bridecat

Rough_Rock
I have USAA. As other posters have said you can get a Jewelry insurance policy and they will insure out of the country.

They asked me for my ring appraisal. I sent that to them. However, when I sent them my GIA certificate for my diamond they said they would insure me to its full replacement value. I would assume that is due to GIA's reputation.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Also, when insuring your stone, the more info you can give them the better, especially when it's a fancy shape. Thus, I would send it to an appraiser who can provide you with things like ASET images as part of your appraisal, so that the quality of your stone is recorded in the even that you lose it, it can be replaced with a like item. I have a round stone, but in the appraisal I sent USAA (they required an appraisal and the diamond certificate) it specifies that it is an AGS triple Ideal stone. That way if I do need to have it replaced they don't give me any old piece of poop that's out there, kwim?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's great feedback guys! I'm really NOT planning to lose it or have it stolen, but there's no way I could afford to have it replaced without insurance. It is an old mine brilliant and while I could handle some changes, I really don't want to change the cut. I do have a GIA certificate that says old mine brilliant, so I'm hoping that is enough. REALLY looking forward to have it in my hot little hand. I may be leaving it in the safe a lot though because even though supposedly China is in a diamond boom, you just don't see diamonds this size here, ever. I never have anyway in 1.5 years. They don't even do fake ones that size lol

Neil Beaty (above) is my appraiser and he did very thorough evaluations on my stone before and after it was set in the current setting (including aset and idealscope etc.) It is a very low J (almost K IMO) but a very high VS2 (I can't find *anything* with 10x). I plan to send it back to him after the reset if the timing works out. I have a very small window and I'll have to see if he can accommodate that.

When they "choose" the stone for you, do you get to approve it or are you just stuck with what they pick? There are so many personalities even within OMB.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results