shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Excellent vs. Very Good Symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Thegroom

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any opinions on this. How much is very good vs. excellent symmetry going to affect brilliance/fire/scintillation if at all? On paper, I''ve found some nice looking stones that show "very good" symmetry whereas before I was limiting my search to Excellent. Thanks,

Mick

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You will see little to no difference between the two. I would not limit your search to only excellent. Unless, on paper, that is something important for you.

Good luck.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree, only if on paper it matters to you.

GVS2

Rough_Rock
What about Good? I found a beautiful G VS2, GIA, Table 58, Depth 61.9, and is beautiful!! Its really exactly what I was looking for. I am buying from someone I trust, but the polish and Symm are both only good... Thoughts? They showed me rings that had exc, and vg in different colors/sizes and I really couldn't tell a difference.... Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your place, I would not let something I cannot see affect my buying decision, but I would the price. You may be asked to pay have more for symmetry grades above good, but you should expect a discount if the grade in either symmetry or polish is less than good.

Personally I cannot tell (without magnification) the difference among good or better polish grades and very rarely among good or better symmetry grades (even then in the case of radiants and emeralds only, but not pricesses and rounds).

Again, it is not very often that I find better than 'good' symmetry although better polish is somewhat more common. And is quite uncommon to find less than good symmetry / good polish on decent GIA certified stones (unless the stone is large or fency color...). I guess, GOOD is GOOD and less than GOOD is not really worth it in these grades. As for better than good: well, that is great, but you may want to let your eyes decide wether you want to pay for the difference.
2.gif

Just a penny worth..

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree that you cannot see the difference in an Excellent symmetry and a very good symmetry on a diamond, all other factors being the same. The difference is knowing that some diamond cutter took the time to do a proper (Excellent) cutting job on a particular diamond and the other diamond cutter was maybe a little rushed and didn't have time to finish the diamond properly. A Very Good is not a bad thing, it is just not the best. Some people buy Fords, others buy BMWs. They both get you down the road with speed and confort. The difference is, the BMW is considered a fine automobile. The other is just transportation.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When it comes to symmetry grading the labs look at the exterior symmetry of the diamond and check those things that apply to external symmetry grading (meeting of facet points, sloping of table, how centered the culet and table is, etc.) so slight deviations in that type of symmetry is not detectable to the eye. The type of symmetry that impacts the beauty of the diamond most is it's 3-dimensional symmetry (as observed through an H&A viewer in the critical analysis).

I have seen certain H&A type brands with symmetry as low as "good" on the GIA report yet would be some of the most beautiful diamonds you'd ever see. So if we are to compare 2 diamonds, both were GIA "Very Good" or GIA "Good" for symmetry, the 3d symmetry will affect the appearance and beauty of the diamond WAAAAY MORE than it's external symmetry grade as given by the labs.

That is the next answer I would seek in my hunt. How is it's 3d or optical symmetry? Is it a GIA "very good" symmetry with "excellent" optical symmetry or is it like 99% of the other "very goods" out there?

My .02c
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Assuming all of these examples had "very good" symmetry and there wasn't that much difference in price between them. Which would you choose? This graphic demonstrates what I was explaining in the last post concerning optical symmetry. All of these examples have very good light return with regards to internal reflectivity but the difference between these 3 examples lies not in it's external symmetry grade but their optical symmetry.

Hope that helps,
Peace,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
oops... fogot the pic.
3.gif

verygoodsymmetry.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2003 5
6.gif
4:53 PM dimonbob wrote:

A Very Good is not a bad thing, it is just not the best. Some people buy Fords, others buy BMWs. They both get you down the road with speed and confort. The difference is, the BMW is considered a fine automobile. The other is just transportation.

----------------

I do not think a Ford is simply transportation. Quite frankly, I have driven the lower end BMW & it's no where near the drive of my taurus. Plus, it doesn't have the room. One is only buying the name.

So, if I am being practical then, why would I choose the BMW? Only to have "other's" be impressed? Don't give a rat's butt about that.

That said, no one will be able to see the difference betweeen good, very good & excellent. Only buy it if *you* are impressed w/ the creditials.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Just as an aside, I'm not singling out DB. THis car analogy has been bantered about. It just doesn't hold water in evaluating diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results