shape
carat
color
clarity

gia excellent polish vs vg polish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ermen

Rough_Rock
in addition to the previous thread comparing excellent cut vs vg cut, is there any discernable difference between GIA EX polish vs VG polish?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2007 12:38:08 AM
Author:ermen
in addition to the previous thread comparing excellent cut vs vg cut, is there any discernable difference between GIA EX polish vs VG polish?

Discernible to the average joe on the street with the naked eye?
No.
Discernible to a trained person with the right equipment?
Yes.

So it depends what you mean by discernible.

This might be one of those unanswerable "Is H high enough in color if I really love my fiance?" type of questions.
How can anyone answer such questions?

Perhaps you could rephrase your question?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I understand, polish graded good and above will look the same to the untrained eye, as Kenny said.

ermen

Rough_Rock
Sure - I can be clear:

Can a reasonable person discern, with their naked eye, the diference between an EX polish and a VG polish GIA diamond, at a 95% confidence level?

From the sounds of it - not really. So maybe I do not have to be bothered by it so much.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In a diamond cutting shop and old master cutter will train a younger student the fine points of making the polish better and better. It is the perfection of a craft.

From the consumer''s point of view, there is no visual improvement from Good or better, as the previous poster has told you.

Does it matter? That is up to you. The finish on the paint of a Rolls Royce is a lot smoother than on a Chevrolet, but from a few feet away they both look about the same if they are like new, clean and in the same lighting. Some cultures are more into "perfection" as a goal than others. Many US consumers are into "good enough" rather than anything better. We have all the flavors on Pricescope, but don''t want to assume everyone believes the same things are important. Diamonds are traded based on very tiny differences of color, clarity, weight and cut quality. ANY component is up for negotiation. This includes POLISH. While it may not matter to you or to someone else, there are negotiations over such details all the time when it comes to setting relative values of diamonds.

Negotiating is part of the diamond business and the grading is there to give us parameters to argue over.....
31.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2007 3:58:29 AM
Author: ermen
Sure - I can be clear:
Can a reasonable person discern, with their naked eye, the diference between an EX polish and a VG polish GIA diamond, at a 95% confidence level?
From the sounds of it - not really. So maybe I do not have to be bothered by it so much.

Yes, picking a diamond is all about getting educated and then setting YOUR comfort zone on all the specs.

There is a lot of pressure, even here on Pricescope, to tell others what comfort zone should apply to everyone.
Example: Don't pay for clarity higher than eye clean so you can get a bigger stone.
Or, Don't pay for high color if the stone is well cut so you can get a bigger stones.

Comfort zones are personal and should be respected as long as they are set *after* the buyer gets educated.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t tell the difference to the eye between a VG polish and an excellent polish. However, I can sometimes tell the difference between excellent symmetry and VG symmetry.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Excellent explaination, David......thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results