shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Excellent and HCA...need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

egs1

Rough_Rock
Well Pricescope has helped me to avoid many poorly cut diamonds...and now GIA rounding is making it extremely difficult to find a well cut diamond.

I''ve found a diamond that I''d like to purchase ASAP but it scores anywhere between 0.9 and 2.5 on the HCA depending on the values entered within the GIA rounding range. So confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible to know if the pavillion and crown angles are on the upper or lower part of the GIA rounded values by looking at %''s? For example, would a PA of 41.0 deg with a pavilion depth of 43% suggest that the PA is <41.0 deg?

So what do you think of the following specs? Is the pavilion too high? Or am I being too picky? I have no idea!

Thanks!

GIA Specs
Measurements..... 6.81-6.86 x 4.21 mm
Weight................ 1.20 carat
Cut Grade............. Excellent
Proportions
Depth.................. 61.6%
Table................... 56%
Pavilion Angle....... 41.0
Pavilion Depth....... 43.0%
Crown Angle........ 34.5
Crown Depth....... 15.0%
Girdle................... medium-slightly thick (faceted)
Culet.................... None
Finish
Polish................... Excellent
Symmetry............. Excellent
Clarity Grade........ VS1
Color Grade........... F
Fluorescence......... None

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2007 8:19:56 PM
Author:egs1
Well Pricescope has helped me to avoid many poorly cut diamonds...and now GIA rounding is making it extremely difficult to find a well cut diamond.

I've found a diamond that I'd like to purchase ASAP but it scores anywhere between 0.9 and 2.5 on the HCA depending on the values entered within the GIA rounding range. So confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible to know if the pavillion and crown angles are on the upper or lower part of the GIA rounded values by looking at %'s? For example, would a PA of 41.0 deg with a pavilion depth of 43% suggest that the PA is <41.0 deg?
It would be extremely difficult to guess such a thing, since if it is not 41.0, then it is (averaged) 40.9-too small of a difference to make a real difference in PD.

So what do you think of the following specs? Is the pavilion too high? Or am I being too picky? I have no idea!

Thanks!

GIA Specs
Measurements..... 6.81-6.86 x 4.21 mm
Weight................ 1.20 carat
Cut Grade............. Excellent
Proportions
Depth.................. 61.6%
Table................... 56%
Pavilion Angle....... 41.0
Pavilion Depth....... 43.0%
Crown Angle........ 34.5
Crown Depth....... 15.0%
Girdle................... medium-slightly thick (faceted)
Culet.................... None
Finish
Polish................... Excellent
Symmetry............. Excellent
Clarity Grade........ VS1
Color Grade........... F
Fluorescence......... None
56/34.5/41 can be fine. it's 35/41 that's just the beginning of steep/deep.

Can you not find a stone with an Ideal Scope image?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have an idealscope image? or have you seen it in person?

egs1

Rough_Rock
Is that avatar moving Belle or is it just me?

The problem I have is that the diamond is not set yet and a deposit is required before it is set and sent from New York. The ring is from Cartier. Overpriced I know...but at least if the cut was excellent/ideal (you know what I mean) it would be okay.

The diamond is actually one of their better cuts on paper. The problem with GIA is that unless PA is exactly 40.8 on the cert. it is borderline (ie other options are 40.6 or 41.0).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results