shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Ex: The Consumers Perspective and the Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see you post Marty and will respond at earliest ...

Ok ... the results. Just took 4 more observations today to figure into the total so far making it 25 observations.

Out of 25 observers in total so far, 23 picked the GIA Ex in l.e.d. lighting and 23 picked the GIA Ex in daylighting, I kid you not!

emdgust.gif

I was thrown for a loop with this research!

What did I learn from this research? What conclusions are drawn? Quite a number of things.

1. GIA laid out the boundaries of their cut grade and are true to their reporting. They based it on observation testing and GIA does not have the market corned on this so I decided to perform my own. While the scandal that took place is an unfortunate mishap, to tie it to their cut grading research is a huge mistake. Their integrity, insofar as the grading is concerned is in tact with this Gman and the two instances should not be confused in the mind of the consumer. To slander their cut grading system based on an entirely different event is just plain wrong.

2. Reflector images, while good information to have are not reliable as an end all be all to cut grading. Here is a plain example where live evaluation and consumer preference sided with what reflector advocates would not suggest. The same could be said for any of the technologies. Does this discount reflector images or the other technologies entirely? In no way does it. It does however teach us what characteristics in reflector images to look for specifically to avoid diamonds that most consumers do not feel is the brighter, more fiery and scintillating diamond. I have said this in the past and I''ll say it again... reflector images (and the HCA) are not good for weeding out certain shallow combinations and in the instance of this study, neither is it good for weeding out certain steep/deep combos. Even AGS system allows for pavilion angles up to 41.2 which take a big hit on the HCA.

3. Here is an excellent example of two diamonds that fool the technologies but not the human eye. I am talking primarily about the painted stone but the other could apply as well. Before anyone miscontrues my words let me make this clear. The comparison was not that of a pretty diamond vs an ugly diamond. All of the observers agreed. The painted stone is by no means an ugly diamond but it does demonstrate precisely one excellent example of the why''s and how''s of GIA''s logic and science behind their cut grading system and why painted girdles do not make thier top grade. With this hard empiracle evidence I can only applaud it. They said up front it was based on observation testing, and my own independant results concur entirely at this point. To be honest and frank I had anticipated posting in this thread the exact opposite results and would have done so happily as I am an advocate of truth and integrity in business.

4. Remove the painted girdle from an H&A and you have a GIA Top Grade and rightfully so. Back in 2000-2001 I conducted a similar survey with 2 hearts and arrows diamonds. One with a painted girdle and one without (and this was before I ever heard of the word "painted girdle"). Crown/pavilion angles and table size virtually identical. Greater than 95% of our observers arrived at the same conclusions as this survey. My own personal preference sided with these observers as well and I had made known publicly on these forums what my own preference was and had dropped the painted girdle line for that reason (among others). During that time I had thought it was primarily due to lower half length and star length, however GIA has pinpointed the problem *precisely* with their research. Consumer opinion agrees no matter what any expert says.

5. Painted girdles fool technologies when observer preference runs counter, even in the case of a GIA Ex steep/deep!

I would now like to give my thoughts to Brian''s criticisms after our most current research into this matter. My response to each point will be in bold.

Let me begin by saying, I hold Brian in high regards and respect his opinions. Both of our companies have been participating on the diamond forums for the longest time and while we have our differences of opinion, at the end of the day I can still sit down with he and his lovely wife and staff and enjoy a laugh and a brew. John Quixote and I go back a long time too before he was ever in the trade (eh Cupid?) and last Vegas show just had a blast in the short time we spent with each other. I do not wish for you to take my comments personally guys and although I try hard to type with the right intentions, I realize it is easy to misconstrue words as well, especially over the net as you can’t look into my eyes and face as I write this. I realize it is natural within business’ to view the competition as “the enemy” sometimes, but let me say I write with no ill will at heart and have, as you, the best intentions for the common layman reading these boards. Do not take my criticisms personally is what I am saying. I think we can all learn by exploring the facts together and remaining open minded to the issues at hand.

Width of the Excellent grade: Using the current AGS system for comparison, GIA’s top grade is vast: A diamond graded GIA Excellent may be an AGS4 as easily as an AGS0. With GIA’s steep/deep allowances each lower AGS grade leads to extra weight within the same GIA grade. It is logical to presume that mass manufacturers will cut the heaviest possible GIA Excellent. Therefore, when a consumer is buying a GIA Excellent the statistical chance of him buying an AGS4 will be high. GIA may tell you that within their top grade there is no visible difference but AGS will tell you it can be divided into 5 different grades: It is impossible for both of these organizations to be correct. A vast top grade with abundant steep/deep combinations promotes sloppier cutting, which serves mass manufacturers, not the public.

> While it is true, the closer you get to the outskirts of the top grade from GIA, the spread will become less, they have however set a cap of 63% as the max depth allowable for their top cut grade. Considering the many manufacturers of ideal cuts (even ideal cut H&A’s), diamonds ranging from the 60.x range to the 62.x range I don’t see a cap of 63% as being unreasonable. In fact there are certain proportion combinations that are helped by making the stone slightly deeper. Another point of note … if we’re going to level criticism against GIA for this … how about AGS??? Are you aware of what their max depth allowable is? They allow for a spread of up to -5% and still be ideal. That means a diamond can have a total depth% of up to 62.8% and still be ideal. .2% off is nothing to wig out over.

Steep/deep cutting hides weight: As the pavilion is made steeper, weight is added and spread is reduced. Allowing EX to range up to a 41.8 pavilion adds approximately 4% to the bottom of the stone without improving spread. If manufacturers cut the steepest/deepest angles possible, stones with less spread and increased light leakage will proliferate.

> The simple question I have to ask here is “Have you ever seen what is being considered a GIA Ex Steep/Deep and compared it to stones that do not make the top cut grade?” Even more importantly have you showed this to consumers in a side by side comparison to let them decide? I have showed this comparison to consumers and the decision was virtually unanimous. Regardless of the angles the diamond is cut to, and no matter how hard factories attempt to hide weight, it still can not exceed the 63% mark.

Steep/deep cutting entraps body color: This situation will cause dichotomy in an already-imperfect color grading system. We all know that well-cut diamonds show less color face-up due to optimized light return. Now face up appearance will become more incongruent because steep/deep cutting entraps body color (fancy colored rounds are cut either very shallow or steep precisely because of this). At combinations near 41.8 / 34.0 the diamond appears darker and the color becomes more apparent in the face up position. Put a 41.8 angle on a J color and see how yellow it looks. An F may look like an H face up. This is the opposite of masking color with great cut. It is incongruent for these parameters to be graded ‘best’ in a system where colorless diamonds are considered most valuable.

> This begs the question, when have you physically *seen* a 34/41.8? And when you did see it did you show it to the average layman to see if they saw what you are claiming? I’m not saying the GIA system is without criticisms, what I am saying is if we are going to level these criticisms against GIA do it first with real live specimens. I was extremely skeptical as well until I physically got a GIA Ex Steep/Deep in my own hands, examined it in common lighting environments and also showed this to consumers to get their input as well. I don''t believe anyone should criticize something unless they have first hand experience with the item. Unless that is done we''re talking speculation. In the observation testing we’ve done so far with the GIA Ex, the diamond in question was a D color. I would agree that common steep/deeps entrap body color but the ones sorted out by observers, of lower colors I have not yet had a chance to see myself. If so, the point is conceded. My conviction is if we are going to criticize a diamond, let’s at least see it first before we jump to hasty conclusions.

Brillianteering is stereotyped: Certain brillianteering approaches are penalized en masse, even when they improve the look of the stone. This stereotyping is a mass-grading shortcut. Diamonds with premium configurations, optical symmetry and careful finish behave differently than those without. This stereotyping penalizes the art of skillful cutting: If GIA wants to downgrade a diamond because a girdle is inconsistent or wavy that is appropriate. But as long as the girdle is of reasonable thickness, is not wavy and is consistent it should be graded as Excellent. Specific configurations and optical symmetry change the playing field. If the effect on light performance is additive it should qualify for a top cut grade in any system, providing that the girdle is consistent.

>Both GIA observers (over 70k observations) and I, through the asking of consumers in our store through real life observation find the exact opposite of what you are claiming. GIA disqualifies girdle painting because it contributes to a darker appearance in common daylight environments. Virtually every consumer we show this to sees it as well. Back in 2000-2001 when I used to feature a painted girdle line in our store (back then I wasn’t even familiar with the term “painted”) we had performed our own observation experiment at that time by consumers all over the globe who had me send them for comparison, a diamond with the girdle cutting we’re talking about vs another diamond with similar slope angles that didn’t feature this characteristic. Over 95% of our observers consistently picked the same diamond (the one without the painted girdle) even when money was no issue. That observation was with 2 diamonds with similar or exact slope angles, and while there were differences in lower half and star length, the primary difference was the cutting of the girdle facets. Our most recent research was a similar comparison except with a GIA Ex steep/deep and the choice was still overwhelming in our observation testing.

Forced rounding: GIA reports altered measurements on their public grading reports. The current popularity of AGS documents and Sarin-type reports has developed a growing expectation among consumers for numbers reported to the tenth of a degree. GIA rounds numbers as much as 2.5 tenths and to nearest 5%. This is not accurate reporting.

> I don’t see this as an issue whatsoever and for good reason. Why? Because if I run a diamond on our Sarin (their top and most accurate model with the interchangeable lens) then send the diamond to AGS/GIA/RockDoc/Dave Atlas/Rich Sherwood etc. what do you think the chances are that the measurements will be exactly the same, especially down to a tenth of a degree? Slim to none would be the proper answer and you know this. Matter of fact when it comes to measuring lower half and star length, I find minor discrepancies between that and the Helium quite often if I’m going to look at tenths of a degree. Helium is perhaps the most accurate scanner in the world and when I compare Sarin’s to Helium’s, rounding lower half length within 2.5 tenths is not a big deal. Think about it … who on this planet would be able to detect, with their eyes, a diamond with 77.6% lower half length next to one with 80% length to see if they can see a difference? I would even challenge trade members to compare. Anyone who has the capabilities of measuring these facets and has the hardware to do it knows that nobody can see those differences in the face up appearance and that is what GIA’s primary concern was in their observation testing. Face up appearance. Until every manufacturer/retailer/appraiser gets a Helium then we can start leveling criticisms about the small rounding GIA is doing. If we are going to accuse GIA of inaccurate reporting then we must also do the same thing to everyone who offers a Sarin if it disagrees with the Helium and I think you would agree that is just not practical.

Rounding and brillianteering incongruities: The approaches are disproportionate. For example, all diamonds with 34.8, 34.9 and 35.0 CA are stereotyped as 35s, even though they do not behave as 35s. Those are vast angular differences. Meanwhile, brillianteering decisions at the girdle are fractional, measured in microns. These are distinct incongruities. To blindly round up angle measurements as much as a half degree in the crown and view them all as ‘the same’ for grading purposes, while blindly downgrading an individual diamond because of a difference of microns at the girdle is disproportionate and unscientific.

> It’s not unscientific when the average layman can not see these differences with his own eyes. Considering the inconsistencies of most non-contact scanners (Sarin/OGI) rounding a crown angle from 34.8 to 35, once again is no big deal. What person on this planet can, if we were to show them 2 diamonds with the same pavilion angles, lower halves, stars, girdles, and one diamond has a 34.8 degree crown angle next to one with an 35 degree crown angle, can tell the difference in the face up appearance? Answer: Nobody.

Girdle thickness: Girdle thickness ranges may have widened. This needs further examination to be confirmed. If this is true, it is another incongruity: GIA penalizes painting and digging, supposedly for ‘retaining weight’ in microns, yet may be allowing far more weight by thickening girdle ranges in a system that already favors steep/deep diamonds.

> Yet to be proven and once again, as far as retaining weight painting/digging can hide up to 3% in weight. Another good reason to disqualify them from top cut grades.

Facetware rounding issues: When using GIA’s online Facetware the forced rounding may result in a cut grade which varies, depending on user input. For a user who is unfamiliar with GIA’s lab strategies, this is tantamount to flipping a coin to decide the cut grade.

> It requires an understanding of the limitations of the Facetware program which GIA plainly lists on their site. For a person to understand the additional features that go into determining a cut grade it requires them to understand the issues of cut and the features that go into determining brightness, fire and scintillation. Once a person takes the time to learn it, it’s not an issue.

Symmetry never studied: Diamonds with premium symmetry behave differently than those without. The GIA planned to study symmetry deviations in 1998:

From G&G, Fall, 1998: "In addition, we plan to explore two important considerations that have been neglected thus far: symmetry and color. From our efforts and observations of actual diamonds for this study, we suspect that symmetry deviations may produce significant variation in brilliance (this was also suggested by A. Gilbertson, pers. comm., 1998). Incorporation of symmetry deviations requires adding more parameters to describe the shape of the round brilliant, and devising a method of tracking multiple symmetry faults. Once this is done, the model can be used to calculate both images and metric values that show how symmetry deviations, both singly and in combination, change diamond appearance.”

If they had followed through, as other labs have, they would not be downgrading all diamonds based on brillianteering: Stereotyping en masse, without regard for the admitted difference symmetry brings, is a step backward and could be perceived as an insult to some of the world’s finest fashioners of diamonds.

> I emailed Al Gilbertson himself to find out the context of his quote. Al was speaking about, what was called at that time “radial symmetry”, a term coined by Kelsey McLeod who worked with Al during the days of DPL. That is the term which was later coined “optical symmetry” by Al and if we are to level accusations against GIA for not grading optical symmetry, then to be fair you must also offer the same criticism against AGS. The truth is, neither lab found optical symmetry detrimental to diamond appearance in the grand scheme of cut grading. This subject happens to be a peeve of my own and would have liked to see a grade for this as well but to stand back and point the finger at GIA alone for not doing it is moot if you’re not going to level the same accusations at AGS as well.

From GIA’s technical FAQ’s:

If a diamond looks better in one of the proprietary viewers (such as one of the “hearts and arrows” viewers), does it get a better grade in the GIA System? Did observation tests confirm that such diamonds look better?

Many people in the trade use the term “optical symmetry” in referring to “branded” diamonds that show near-perfect eight-fold symmetry by displaying eight “hearts” in the pavilion-up position, or eight “arrows” in the face-up position, when viewed in specially designed optical viewers. To investigate the possible benefits of optical symmetry, we included several such diamonds in our observation testing. We found that although many diamonds with optical symmetry received high observation scores, other diamonds (with very different proportions and, in many cases, no discernable optical symmetry) were ranked just as highly.

An interesting by-product of the testing was that those trade members who emphasized this type of diamond in their business generally chose such a diamond as the highest ranking (although not always). Those who did not market this type of diamond chose it as best about as often as they chose other diamonds we have placed in the top grade categories. It appears that these types of diamond could be likened to an “acquired taste” or “learned bias.” This doesn’t mean that some of them shouldn’t rank highly—it just means that not everyone agrees.
Finally, there are a variety of proportions that yield these patterns, some of which cause the diamond to appear darker to many observers. When a diamond had such a dark appearance, even though the pattern was considered a very good representation of a diamond with “optical symmetry,” many observers did not place it in the top category. This has been accounted for in our system.
Located at:
http://www.gia.edu/research/29324/diamond_cut_faq.cfm]
Peace,

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's it.
I give up.
38.gif

I'm shopping at the mall from now on.
20.gif

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2006 2:44:36 PM
Author: Rhino

No apologies necessary dear and I would agree. Many stones that have painted girdles do have a little more spread at times. In our testing, the painted diamond was a larger stone as well.
Rhino.. Here is a case where I think you may be misleading consumers. The effects of painting, combined with high optical symmetry, produces a stone that appears visually larger than a stone with standard brillianteering, with BOTH STONES HAVING THE SAME PHYSICAL DIAMETER...

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Now Now, stop whacking the poor man. Some of you are basically accusing him of rigging the test!
Personally I want to know the results of the survey.
Let''s face it, all (the majority of) consumers really care about is if the diamond looks pretty or not.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2006 3:05:19 PM

I see you post Marty and will respond at earliest ...

Ok ... the results. Just took 4 more observations today to figure into the total so far making it 25 observations.

Out of 25 observers in total so far, 23 picked the GIA Ex in l.e.d. lighting and 23 picked the GIA Ex in daylighting, I kid you not!

emdgust.gif

I was thrown for a loop with this research!

No surprise there, you can design an envirionment to mask differences, that is all..

Symmetry never studied: Diamonds with premium symmetry behave differently than those without. The GIA planned to study symmetry deviations in 1998:

From G&G, Fall, 1998: ''In addition, we plan to explore two important considerations that have been neglected thus far: symmetry and color. From our efforts and observations of actual diamonds for this study, we suspect that symmetry deviations may produce significant variation in brilliance (this was also suggested by A. Gilbertson, pers. comm., 1998). Incorporation of symmetry deviations requires adding more parameters to describe the shape of the round brilliant, and devising a method of tracking multiple symmetry faults. Once this is done, the model can be used to calculate both images and metric values that show how symmetry deviations, both singly and in combination, change diamond appearance.”

If they had followed through, as other labs have, they would not be downgrading all diamonds based on brillianteering: Stereotyping en masse, without regard for the admitted difference symmetry brings, is a step backward and could be perceived as an insult to some of the world’s finest fashioners of diamonds.

> I emailed Al Gilbertson himself to find out the context of his quote. Al was speaking about, what was called at that time “radial symmetry”, a term coined by Kelsey McLeod who worked with Al during the days of DPL. That is the term which was later coined “optical symmetry” by Al and if we are to level accusations against GIA for not grading optical symmetry, then to be fair you must also offer the same criticism against AGS. The truth is, neither lab found optical symmetry detrimental to diamond appearance in the grand scheme of cut grading. This subject happens to be a peeve of my own and would have liked to see a grade for this as well but to stand back and point the finger at GIA alone for not doing it is moot if you’re not going to level the same accusations at AGS as well.

WRONG As far as I know, AGS raytraces each stone based on the actual scan so that symmetry becomes part of the contributor to the performance grade, while GIA first averages, then ROUNDS, then uses a look up table, ENTIRELY different things.
Ask the question, why does GIA allow an EX cut grade when the symmetry is only the unquantifiable VG. All in the trade always wanted GIA EX/EX (polish/symmetry) in the past, to consider it a top stone, why the change????? You explain it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2006 3:14:33 PM
Author: kenny
That's it.

I give up.
38.gif

I'm shopping at the mall from now on.
20.gif

There is a ton of research that needs to be done yet.
I think this study is a good first step but not the final destination.

The background and lighting questions are good ones that need to be answered.
Repeating the test with the same stones mounted in settings in the DD and on the finger would be a good next step.
Others doing the same with other combos would be a very good idea also.
Anyone that has been paying attention knows that there is a lot of disagreement on what a top diamond is and has been for a long time.
Im of the opinion that there may not be just one right answer.
10-20 years from now the answers may be more clear but the study is just beginning.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2006 3:31:50 PM
Author: Wren
Now Now, stop whacking the poor man. Some of you are basically accusing him of rigging the test!
Personally I want to know the results of the survey.
Let''s face it, all (the majority of) consumers really care about is if the diamond looks pretty or not.
NO NO NO.. The "test" is HIGHLY influenced by the environment used...

Ans YES the test was sort of "rigged" vis-a-vie standard versus painted girdles because Rhino, to my knowledge can''t get them anywhere anymore. The two cutting styles have different balances or tradeoffs and "benefits", and I doubt that was pointed out.

So next I imagine Rhino is going to take down everything from his web site he used to use to try to sell diamonds with objective information (right or wrong that is was) in the past, retract all he said in the past on PriceScope and other web sites about why this stone or that stone he was selling was the greatest thing since sliced bread, return all his "tools", buy a 1000 DiamondDocks and ship one with every diamond, just because there is finally an envirionment that makes any old stone look the same. That''s what I read into this thread. But then I tend to be a cynic anyway when it comes to retailers in general.

By the way, I happen to like Rhino personally...
36.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey bossman,

Date: 3/11/2006 1:54:45 PM
Author: adamasgem

I am looking forward to seeing your ''preference'' results Rhino, but I might point to yesterday''s defense of the GIA cut grade ''system'' in this link regarding the subject

http://www.gia.edu/newsroom/issue/2798/2536/insider_newsletter_details.cfm#3

''4. The system acknowledges personal and regional Tastes and Preferences. One of the most compelling findings from our observation tests and interviews was that different people prefer different appearances in diamonds. Sometimes these differences are from one person to another, and other times they represent preferences in certain countries or regions. We knew that the GIA Diamond Cut Grading System had to be applicable around the world. In some cases, this meant recognizing that a certain face-up appearance might be favored by some but not others. This recognition, backed by the findings of our ray-tracing and observation tests, is incorporated into the final system. Even though there can be different appearances within a given GIA cut grade (a good thing from both a sales and consumer point of view), the overall performance (e.g., the brightness and fire) of each diamond with the same grade is similar.

In otherwords, lets muddy the water a little, and allow off make stones to be pitched as EX even though technology, whether you believe in it or not, says differently. Again it all depends on what your definition of the word similar is..

I find that quite often a sales perspective and a consumer''s best interest are diametrically opposed based on the seller''s needs
I hear ya which is why I sought consumer input and not trade input. I wanted our clients to tell me what they preferred. Over the course of time it has always been consumer demand which dictated what we purchase for stock.

michaelgem

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Jonathan,

I am impressed by the thoroughness and professionalism shown by this and other comparison studies that you have performed and are now reporting on your web site.

I can just hear it from someone out there now. “How can Rhino conduct this research? Can’t be valid. What are his qualifications? After all he ain’t no PhD optical physicist.”

28.gif

Like most on this forum you have had a bias for optically symmetric super-ideal diamonds that garner an AGS 0. Unlike most on this forum you have apparently maintained an open mind with respect to the GIA’s findings. I can imagine you were as surprised at the results of your carefully controlled comparison testing, as we all are to hear about them from you.

Your early understanding of the necessity not to bias comparison testing with either bright-white or dark-black backgrounds was ahead of its time. GIA apparently learned this after their first series of comparison testing with charcoal black trays. GIA believes and I reluctantly agree that use of a neutral brightness background is a key element in obtaining comparison tests that correlate well with human judgment of diamond beauty in typical mounting and viewing circumstances.

I am saying this in spite of my personal bias towards challenging a diamond cut by viewing it backed by black just as GIA did originally.

Michael Cowing

www.acagemlab.com

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Rhino, I love your posts and zeal! However, while this was interesting, it was seriously flawed and I am too fresh to miss the mistake.

You compared GIA EX to painted girdle (similar to eightstar). While interesting, it doesn''t address the orginal experimental objective and you already knew the answer.

Rhino: "Back in 2000-2001 I conducted a similar survey with 2 hearts and arrows diamonds. One with a painted girdle and one without (and this was before I ever heard of the word "painted girdle"). Crown/pavilion angles and table size virtually identical. Greater than 95% of our observers arrived at the same conclusions as this survey. My own personal preference sided with these observers as well and I had made known publicly on these forums what my own preference was and had dropped the painted girdle line for that reason (among others)."

The correct experiment would be comparing the steep/deep to a AGS/GIA overlap diamond (the generally agreed ideal). If the selection of laymen was 50/50 (ie experimental noise) then the GIA ideal region was properly sized. If 60-86.5% could tell the difference, then it was 1-2 sigma so to speak and made too large

I have now seen a branded eightstar... it does appear to have a body of greyish hue style contrast, but virtually all the light I saw was colored light. I suspect if you redid the test you did in a dark room with one candle, you would get a different outcome. Perhaps people who buy 8star do so for this effect? I did notice a general brightness and white scintillation hit compared to a AGS0 H&A. I should point out it was a very slight nuance to me.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock

Very interesting thread.

I recently heard about a conversation between a trade journalist and very large wholesaler who traditionally sold high end AGS 000 spec goods with GIA Reports.

The wholesaler was asked.

“What are you going to do about marketing your goods in light of the new GIA cut system?”

Will you give new instructions to the cutting factory?”

The wholesalers answer

“We will do what we have to do to sell diamonds”

Johan

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2006 6:45:41 PM
Author: michaelgem

GIA believes and I reluctantly agree that use of a neutral brightness background is a key element in obtaining comparison tests that correlate well with human judgment of diamond beauty in typical mounting and viewing circumstances.

Michael Cowing

www.acagemlab.com

I guess that we should silver back (foil back) all diamonds then..

Like I said before, make an envirionment that makes the point you want to push.. screw the real aspects of what makes a diamond zing..

This thread is not about any science, it is about marketing... and maybe kissig butt..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/guess-who-is-new-gia-alumni-vice-pres-for-long-island-chapter.24699/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch!

Brian's "GIA EX, Let the buyer beware" thread opened my eyes to GIA's new suspiciously huge "Excellent" cut bucket.

Rhino since you are Alumni Vice President for the GIA's Long Island Chapter I'm afraid that this thread does take on the appearance of damage control.

I think reminding us of this affiliation at the beginning of this pro-GIA thread would have been appropritate since the thread of yours thread that Marty linked us to is over a year old.

Midnight

Rough_Rock
New GIA Ex(includes steep/deep) = "Old" AGS0(also included steep/deep)

"New" AGS0 = Excluded steep/deep

It seems like GIA is saying that consumers can''t tell the difference between steep/deep with GIA EX/New AGS0 since all of them are excellent looking. Obviously, AGS eventually saw a "problem" with the steep/steep and thus decided to excluded them from the "New" AGS0 criteria. What was their "official" justification for this change in position? Based on what?

michaelgem

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Speaking of "kissing but".

Seems a lot of that being done by members of this forum.

How clear is your view of this topic from that position?

Michael Cowing

www.acagemlab.com

dhog

Shiny_Rock
I didn't come here to kiss ??for anyone
but came in search of answers. If rhino would
be so kind as to give me his expert opinion
on the following series of photo's that were taken

the photos were taken in full sun at 2 pm and they
look nothing like the photos that he is using
from a box that is supposed to mimic daylight
why would you need a led to do a test on a stone in full
daylight nobody I know wants to carry around a led light to look
at their stone.

should any of these stones be downgraded for painting
and or digging.the stone with really pretty rainbow is
stunning to me but since I have had them they have been looked
at by several jewelers who say they are the prettist stones
they have seen.

I believe that the answer to all of these questions
that have been made would be answered better if we all
understood the true effects of colors that the human eye
sees as in what you are looking at is being fabricated
by your brain.

something went wrong with the other photo uploads
maybe a quota don't know but my avatar shows the
photos.

12CARATWF.jpg

dhog

Shiny_Rock
next photo

painted16.jpg

dhog

Shiny_Rock
next

painted17.jpg

dhog

Shiny_Rock
I GUESS NO MORE PHOTOS SORRY FOLKS

DSCN1220111.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
dhog,
kewl pictures.
In each one the diamonds look different that''s why a light box and stands are used.
So the conditions and angles can be duplicated one time to the next.
How good is the diamonddoc or how bad I cant really say because I haven''t seen it.
But I will say that if Rhino says that under it x number of consumers preferred one diamond that is what happened.

What does that mean in the overall world of diamonds.
I don''t know yet. More testing needs to be done.
With the diamonds in settings and/or under other lighting conditions would the results have been different?
That is possible its equally possible the same results would have happened.
What the study tells me more than anything is that under the official GIA lighting conditions a group of consumers preferred one specific steep/deep over one specific diamond with a painted girdle.
The box and lighting need to be studied and the test repeated with mounted diamonds and again in other lighting and again with other diamonds before a solid conclusion can be made.

Then there is going to be someone that looks at them and says that one is way better and it will be the one that the majority liked less.
Why?
Something about the diamond spoke to them :}

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhino,

1)Please inform about consumer tests this stones in normal light condition( not DD GIA) , for example in your office light. Result will quite different.
DD is penalty all nice diamonds without leakage. If you want understand why please read https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-lighting-can-influence-on-grade-appearance.38583/
2) If you really want understanding How is GIA system correct? To Take GIA EX with Pav 41.6/Pav34.5 on normal light conditions . This diamond are pointing to GIA cut grade mistake
3) Pav 41.2 Cr 35 is really nice stone. It has not death ring in stereo vision. This diamond are pointing to AGS cut grade mistake( I told it on PS several months ago)

It is pity see your choice diamonds and light conditions for consumer tests. After your post I start think to Back to help developing cut grade system. ( Earlier I thought : Market will reject wrong GIA cut grade system without any my efforts. Now I see my work is necessary to market yet )

michaelgem

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Midnight asks:

“It seems like GIA is saying that consumers can''t tell the difference between steep/deep with GIA EX/New AGS0 since all of them are excellent looking. Obviously, AGS eventually saw a "problem" with the steep/steep and thus decided to exclude them from the "New" AGS0 criteria. What was their "official" justification for this change in position? Based on what?”

Based upon where each organization decides to “set the bar” for Excellent or Ideal, which in turn is based upon each organization''s criteria for Excellent or Ideal. GIA has set their bars for Excellent, based upon observation testing that is orders of magnitude greater than Jonathan or others are able to accomplish. Like Jonathan, they did their comparison testing in a variety of viewer and viewing and illumination circumstances, not just DiamondDoc. AGS has set their bar for Ideal in slightly differing places based upon their own observation testing and differences in optical performance measured by their Aset metric. Some of these differences may or may not be noticeable to the consumer making comparisons.

Everyone including AGS and GIA agrees that sufficient angle deviations in the steep/deep direction (from Henry Morse’s and Tolkowsky’s 41/40.75 and 34.5 degrees) result in inferior optical performance/beauty for a number of reasons, not just “the ring of death”.

As to Rhino’s particular steep/deep of 41.2/35, this set of proportions better avoids the observer obstruction that produces darkness in the mains compared to the Tolkowsky Ideal, while not incurring significant leakage in the "middle ring" of reflections inside the table. (See http://www.acagemlab.com/article4/eyeofdia.htm )

Sergey is absolutely correct when he points out that: “ Pav 41.2 Cr 35 is a really nice stone. It does not have the death ring in stereovision. This diamond is pointing to an AGS cut grade mistake (I mentioned this on PS several months ago)”
The original AGS0 Ideal included this combination. It should not be down graded based on optical performance, as Rhino, GIA and any one comparing it to the Morse/Tolkowsky Ideal will testify. The only valid reason to down grade it is if these proportions, combined with girdle thickness and table size, result in a cut that does not have sufficient “spread”. Spread (apparent size) is another criteria for Ideal or Excellent that is separate from optical performance. (AGS and GIA have set their bars for spread somewhat differently, but this is a subject for a different thread.)

Michael Cowing

www.acagemlab.com

michaelgem

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Second verse, same as the first:

In an off line communication with Jonathan, I expressed my opinion that throwing the issue of painted girdles into the comparison of regular indexed, AGS0 Ideals verses those that are slightly steep/deep just muddies the water.

I think it is important to separate what I see as two differences of opinion between AGS and GIA as to what constitutes the best in their respective cut grading systems.

The first difference is whether a diamond with what diamond cutters call “painted” upper halves should be downgraded.

The second is whether slightly steep/deep diamond cuts like Rhino’s particular steep/deep example of 41.2/35 should be downgraded, as AGS has done.

I want to address Dhog concerning only the second difference here, so as not to further muddy the water.

Dhog,

As cool as your photos are, I suspect you will agree that they do not do justice to what your eye sees. Suppose you photographed Rhino’s regular-indexed, slightly steep/deep and an AGS0 Ideal in the same lighting and white-bright backing environments and from the same angles and distance. I suspect that they would be indistinguishable in the photos. There is too much glare and some blow out of detail in the 1st and 3rd shots and too much angle variability in the second to use photos such as these to distinguish between these two cuts. If anything, photos like these would help make GIA’s case that a regular indexed AGS0 Ideal and Rhino’s version of slightly steep/deep have similar beauty and should get the same Excellent grade.

Everyone including AGS and GIA agrees that sufficient angle deviations in the steep/deep direction (from Henry Morse’s and Tolkowsky’s 41/40.75 and 34.5 degrees) result in inferior optical performance/beauty for a number of reasons, not just “the ring of death”.

As to Rhino’s particular steep/deep of 41.2/35, this set of proportions better avoids the observer obstruction that produces darkness in the mains compared to the Tolkowsky Ideal, while not incurring significant leakage in the "middle ring" of reflections inside the table. (See http://www.acagemlab.com/article4/eyeofdia.htm )

Sergey is absolutely correct when he points out that: “ Pav 41.2 Cr 35 is a really nice stone. It does not have the death ring in stereovision. This diamond is pointing to an AGS cut grade mistake (I mentioned this on PS several months ago)”

The original AGS0 Ideal included this combination. It should not be down graded based on optical performance, as Rhino, GIA and any one comparing it to the Morse/Tolkowsky Ideal will testify. The only valid reason to down grade it is if these proportions combined with girdle thickness and table size result in a cut that does not “spread” sufficiently. Spread (apparent size) is another criteria for Ideal or Excellent, separate from optical performance.

Michael Cowing

www.acagemlab.com

PS Terms for middle ring darkness such as "ring of death" way overstate the loss in beauty seen by the observer due to significantly steep/deep cutting when compared to the loss in beauty due to other more serious cutting faults.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 11:16:44 AM

As to Rhino’s particular steep/deep of 41.2/35, this set of proportions better avoids the observer obstruction that produces darkness in the mains compared to the Tolkowsky Ideal, while not incurring significant leakage in the 'middle ring' of reflections inside the table.
Perhaps Rhino could post the actual Helium scans for each stone so that others could play with them in different theoretical lighting conditions and viewer perspectives.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 12:21:16 PM

Second verse, same as the first:

In an off line communication with Jonathan, I expressed my opinion that throwing the issue of painted girdles into the comparison of regular indexed, AGS0 Ideals verses those that are slightly steep/deep just muddies the water.

I agree wholeheartedly.....

There is too much glare and some blow out of detail in the 1st and 3rd shots and too much angle variability in the second to use photos such as these to distinguish between these two cuts. If anything, photos like these would help make GIA’s case that a regular indexed AGS0 Ideal and Rhino’s version of slightly steep/deep have similar beauty and should get the same Excellent grade.

Good point
36.gif

What I am trying to figure out why GIA would put the "glare" component back into their model metric, when the only purpose it serves is to further muddy the water, in my opinion based on the technical ray trace studies I have done with my SAS2000 software using foreward raytrace models.

Go out in bright sunlight and basically all you basically see is the glare component..

In my opinion, also, the intensity of lighting sources used to "differentiate" diamonds in a "sales" presentation is way too high.

Perhaps the "observational studies" should have been made with the viewer wearing non tinted (ie: gray) polaroid glasses. I should think the "results" would be significantly different, and more reflective (pardon the pun) of the nuances between diamonds.

When I look at diamond in a microscope, l have an poloroid "analyser" permanently screwed into the bottom of the pod to cut down the glare component when the fluorescent light is on (and then I always can drop in a "polarizer" into the light well to look at any internal strain).
I believe that visual comparison color grading is also helped.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/10/2006 11:32:46 PM

You say above that ''The diamond dock will make many dogs look good.'' My question in response is what made you arrive at this conclusion? Have you ever observed diamonds under it as compared to natural daylight? This picture below is of a GIA Ex/AGS Ideal next to a GIA good under the dock that is a steep/deep. From the photograph, do you think the diamonddock makes the dog look better? I don''t think so personally as this photograph reflects what I and all consumers see in real life.

Peace out,
I have seen a picture of two stones under the diamond dock, one a very well cut stone, the other a lifeless lump in normal lighting. The improvement of the lifeless lump was very disturbing. One of the biggest dissadvantages of living in Idaho is not being able to hands on play with all the new toys until Vegas. Of course one of the biggest advantages is playing in the rivers and on the mountains without having to drive for hours to do so. Guess I have made clear which one is more important to me...
21.gif

I will now continue reading this thread to see what has developed in the past 48 hours, I love this stuff! Can not wait to hear the results of your poll, whether or not I agree with them...

Wink

michaelgem

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Re: “What I am trying to figure out is why GIA would put the "glare" component back into their model metric, when the only purpose it serves is to further muddy the water, in my opinion based on the technical ray trace studies I have done with my SAS2000 software using foreward raytrace models.” Marty Haske

I address this issue in the following excerpt from my long pending book:

“Surface reflections from the diamond’s crown facets also contribute to the diamond’s reflection pattern. These are referred to as “luster.” These simple mirror reflections often result in undesirable glare, especially from the table. This glare reduces the sharp, high-contrast appearance of a diamond. The author’s opinion is that such reflections need not be considered in diamond design, as they have little to do with the attributes of diamond beauty --- brilliance, fire and scintillation.” Michael Cowing

Marcel Tolkowsky expressed a similar opinion about ignoring surface luster in the following excerpt from his landmark book "Diamond Design":

“In a diamond, the amount of light reflected from the surface is much smaller than that penetrating into the stone; moreover, a diamond is practically perfectly transparent, so that all the light that passes into the stone has to pass out again. This is why luster may be ignored in the working out of the correct shape for a diamond, and why any variation in the amount of light reflected from the exposed surface due to a change in that surface may be considered as negligible in the calculations.” Marcel Tolkowsky

Michael Cowing

www.acagemlab.com

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clearly this is hard for me to fathom. I can comment on it no further until I have seen a "good" steep/deep GIA excellent with my own eyes and compared it to an AGS stone of the same weight that is AGS 0 cut grade. My own time with EightStar has taught me that some people prefer the look of the EightStar and some the look of the traditional AGS 0 cut grade with H&A optical symmetry. Still, my own long term tests with those stones showed closer to a 50/50 preference, with my initial observations and questions showing more like 80/20 for EightStar. (Clearly here my own enthusiasm for the EightStar was biasing the results.) For you to have 92% choosing such an obviously more poorly cut stone leads me to think that there must be some factor in your test that is either biasing your results, or that the diamond dock truly is as horrible a device as my so far only experience leads me to believe that it is. In any case, I think you need to make the comparrison with a traditional H&A AGS 0 cut so as to take out the preference for one style of cutting or the other before you can make any meaningful comparrison. 92% of any group of people agreeing on any thing boggles the imagination, it is difficult for me to accept and I actually do not accept it, although I believe you when you say that was the result. What I do not accept is the validity of the comparrison.

Serg, thank you for pointing out the other thread that you had initiated in which the stones all looked totally different by the mere fact of turning on the light in the grading box. I fear I would never have figured out that turning ON the light could make a nice stone look horrible. It was a very difficult thread for me to wrap my mind around, but I am slowly beginning to get to where I might someday hope to comprehend some of what you and others are doing.

Wink

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Date: 3/11/2006 3:14:33 PM
Author: kenny
That''s it.
I give up.
38.gif

I''m shopping at the mall from now on.
20.gif

LOL... kenny. Don''t take this hard man. Learn from it. Appreciating a technology (reflector, whatever) involves knowing and understanding both its strengths and weakness but most importantly how it correlates to human observation. In *many* circumstances the diamond with the superior reflector image will be the brighter stone. In this case it wasn''t but now we know why for sure and can always identify this in future diamonds. When I heard of the steep/deeps making the GIA grade don''t you think I was ready to post the results of consumers if they decided differently in this survey? One thing the research gemologist from both labs know about me is that I don’t play favorites and I have both praise and criticisms of both systems.

The advice I would offer consumers at this point is this.

1. Don''t stop consulting reflector images. They still provide very valuable information. Always get one when possible.
2. I would also say ... get the numbers as well (crown angles, pavilion angles, table, total depth, lower girdle/half and star facet length) and check it against the FacetWare program. It''s free and its results were based on observation testing. The simple experiment we conducted demonstrates the logic and science behind GIA’s system. Whether one agrees with it or not, it does what they are claiming, it agrees with average layman observance.
3. Both GIA and AGS encourage the diamond researcher to LOOK at the diamonds they are considering. If you veer off the path of GIA Ex or AGS Ideal then you are placing implicit trust into the person who tells you its one of the “best” looking stones. I personally encourage diamonds that fall ideal in both grades for the safe internet shopper, but even then there are differences in appearance within both labs top grades which a consumer should consider as well.

My main concern in this testing was whether an H&A with a painted girdle would not appeal to as many people as a GIA Ex steep/deep. Did the painted girdle really impact performance to the point where a majority of observers would agree, who knew nothing about diamonds at all? I already knew the answer to this regarding 2 H&A''s (one painted, one without) but I wasn''t prepared for the results next to the GIA Ex steep/deep. My own anticipation was similar to what Sergey expressed earlier in this thread.

There is one piece of data I have not posted which does correlate to the observation testing which I thought I’d save for last. In the DiamCalc/GemAdvisor software I take particular note of “stereo view” for light return (since all our observers had 2 eyes) and the contrast score since contrast contributes to brightness. While the light return scores are neglible there is a greater difference in the contrast scores. The DiamCalc software giving the higher score to the GIA Excellent in this case.

While I am an avid user of DiamCalc and am a student of the software, I don’t pretend to understand the intricacies of the algorithms used to determine the final output. Perhaps Sergey can share his insights into the why’s of the software.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

dcresults.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/11/2006 3:21:35 PM
Author: adamasgem

Date: 3/11/2006 2:44:36 PM

No apologies necessary dear and I would agree. Many stones that have painted girdles do have a little more spread at times. In our testing, the painted diamond was a larger stone as well.
Rhino.. Here is a case where I think you may be misleading consumers. The effects of painting, combined with high optical symmetry, produces a stone that appears visually larger than a stone with standard brillianteering, with BOTH STONES HAVING THE SAME PHYSICAL DIAMETER...
I wouldn''t argue that case at all Marty. We agree. I was not looking or asking consumers to see which diamond appeared larger. Matter of fact one diamond was indeed larger in this demonstration, but not by that much. I listed the measurements of each stone in the very first graphic I posted in this thread. My questions were pointed and simple. Which diamond appears brighter? Which diamond appears to display more fire? If they didn''t understand the question, I simply asked them which diamond speaks to you more than the other?

Peace,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results