shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA etching necessary??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niku414

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am about to buy a 1.70ct F SI1 diamond-- it comes with the 2002 GIA certification but I was told that it does not have the GIA etching on the diamond itself -- The dealer wanted $150 more to send it back to GIA for recertification and etching. Is the etching really required ? or it is just for safety reason?? Any input would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time :)

Pauline

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no. learning where the identifying inclusions in your SI1 is good idea.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/18/2007 2:47:41 AM
Author:niku414
Hello,

I am about to buy a 1.70ct F SI1 diamond-- it comes with the 2002 GIA certification but I was told that it does not have the GIA etching on the diamond itself -- The dealer wanted $150 more to send it back to GIA for recertification and etching. Is the etching really required ? or it is just for safety reason?? Any input would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time :)

Pauline
I didnt know GIA reports were issued with no plots/sketches on colorless Diamonds (0.99 cts. and up!!!)

If you wish to purchase a GIA graded diamond then I would suggest for you to require a GIA report with a Sketch/plot that will show you its shape, facet structure and positions of inclusions. (rounds have more info.)

But if you are willing to purchase a Diamond with no report..., than the sketch does not matter.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

... I was told that it does not have the GIA etching on the diamond itself...
Diagem, I read the only thing missing is the identifying on the diamond...usually the girdle...and this is I think usually not on diamonds above 1 carat with GIA certs. If you a) have no reason to otherwise question its having been documented by GIA, and b) would otherwise though want the inscription...other 3rd parties, to include some appraisers here...will do this for a nominal fee. But...it is not required, and can go without.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would actually prefer it without. Learn where the inclusions are so you can ID the diamond yourself with a loupe. No need for the girdle inscription, unless you don''t trust the vendor.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello,

Pauline
A laser inscribed girdle is important if the numbers match the report. It happens on occasion that the number does not
match the report or that the inscription matches the number from an earlier report but doesn''t reflect the most current report.
It''s important to view your diamond under 10x magnification and to locate the inclusions...know what they look like.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2007 3:51:23 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Hello,

Pauline
A laser inscribed girdle is important if the numbers match the report. It happens on occasion that the number does not
match the report or that the inscription matches the number from an earlier report but doesn''t reflect the most current report.
It''s important to view your diamond under 10x magnification and to locate the inclusions...know what they look like.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

I think a GIA laser inscription when a stone has their logo on it, makes it identifiable easily. The $ 150.00 asked by your jeweler is very reasonable.

I would do it for the following reasons.

1. You get an updated report, that would verify if there are any minor abrasions or small chips that the stone might have gotten since the time it was graded before.

2. If your stone was stolen and recovered, the inscription would serve as a more reasonable level of evidence that it was actually your stone potentially without sending it back to GIA.

3. While learning what your inclusions look like can''t hurt, sometimes, even though rarely, inclusions like feather can open or spread. If you had a fresh grading report with the inscription lasered in the side, you could prove that this was damaged, which is a better level of evidence in recovering the stone, or establishing an insurance claim.

4. A 1.70 carat diamond isn''t "chopped liver" value-wish, and investing another $ 150.00 to have it laser inscribed, shipped to GIA, and have an updated grading report in my opinion, is "chicken feed" as compared to the benefits it would have.

Just my thoughts,

Rockdoc

niku414

Rough_Rock
Thank you to eveyone who gave me an input
1.gif
I think what I am going to do is to have the dealer send the diamond in for a updated GIA report-- that way I would feel more comfortable just knowing that no further cracks/chips had occurred since the LAST grading-- but without having the laser inscription --I read somewhere that the laser inscription can be removed anyways... and if it is really stolen/lost (knock on wood, x my fingers) i doubt that having the laser inscription would help me recover it
7.gif
and also to avoid the horror story of someone who posted on this forum saying that they can actually see the inscription from the top of their diamond!!

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No the etching isn''t necessary. But unless you were really good at looking at the inclusion plotting map and matching it to your diamond it''ll assist in your peace of mind.

A regrading of the stone will also confirm the original certificate and condition of the diamond. You can choose to have this done with the laser inscription if you so desire but the additional charge is not much.

I would personally go with the laser inscription as it doesn''t devalue the diamond in any way. It also makes it easier to identify your diamond both before and after setting. However, it is also a matter of personal preference.

Yes, a laser inscription can be removed.

But the diamond could also be recut.

Laser inscriptions can also be ''forged'' as it only takes somebody with the right equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results