shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Dossier and the wrong cert?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DazzleVT

Rough_Rock

I have two questions. My FI2be just got my e-ring on Friday. He hasnt actually proposed yet (various reasons i agree with) but i got to look at the ring and he showed me the diamond certificate. I tried to get him to at least take a look online at things but he said he was very uncomfortable buying over the internet, and so bought everything from a B&M. So now on to the questions...

1. I thought it was very strange that the GIA cert didnt have the inclusions plotted out (its an SI, so it has to have some!). Is that what a Diamond Dossier means? Is this a bad kind of cert to have? I never realised that the GIA had various types of certs.

2. While looking at the cert and the plastic sleeve it came in i noticed that the description on the label did not match the certs. The receipt numbers match the number on the plastic sleeve for a .7 ct E/SI. The certificate we have descripes a .74 E/SI diamond. Of course the FI2Be cant remember the size of the diamond he picked out, but is pretty sure it is the smaller one. I tried to get him to call the store back all weekend, but he doesnt feel its such a big deal. The cert we have says the diamond should be laser inscribed. Is this something we should be worried about getting cleared up? He bought the diamond in Oct, but just recieved the whole ring friday (11/19).

Thanks for your help!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GIA has several different documents that people refer to as certificates. Diamond Dossier reports do not contain a plotting diagram.

If the report you have is not describing the stone you have, it isn’t of much value. To some extent I agree that this isn’t a particularly big deal but I would suggest that you get it cleared up quickly, while it’s still easy. It’s very possible that the store accidentally shuffled the paperwork while comparing the two stones either during your sales presentation or during the presentation to someone else. This would mean that there is another stone out there that is accompanied by your report. Either the store still has this stone or there is another customer out there with the same problem as you. Either way, it would be good to get it cleared up.

The number etched on the girdle is useful for recognizing your individual stone. You can see it with a loupe and it is written on the report. These numbers should match. If they don’t, you should discuss the matter with the store. If they can’t locate the correct report, they can buy a duplicate from GIA. Give them back the other one so that they have it on hand when the other customer shows up. It’s of no use to you.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

DazzleVT

Rough_Rock
I tried to look through a loop to find the number but no luck. I think my loop is 10x, how powerful do i need it to be in order to see the number? Also, should i be worried that someone might say, "you stole my diamond"???

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DazzleVT,

Locating and reading those numbers at 10x take a little bit of practice. I again recommend discussing the matter with the jeweler who sold the stone. You might also consider hiring an independent appraiser to help. Either should be able to point out the girdle inscription for you. All stones with a GIA Diamond Dossier should have a number although other kinds of examinations don''t always include this service. If the correct documentation for your stone is some other variety, it may not have a number on the stone.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

moosewendy

Rough_Rock
The inscription is small, but should be readable at 10x, if you''re good with a loupe. It sounds like an honest mistake, so the best course is to ask the store. They probably just mixed up the paperwork. You definitely should clear it up, though, because otherwise you don''t know what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results