shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA cushion brilliants question....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Could someone explain the difference between a chunky cushion and a modern cushion? I thought if a GIA report said cushion brilliant, it would be the chunky style. I must be missing something.....
20.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
A cushion brilliant can have either look. It's a product of the facet patterns not the name. Unfortunately GIA doesn't distinguish between the different facet patterns except somtimes on the plot and even then it is often wrong.

Easiest thing to do is work with a trusted vendor who knows what to look for based on your tastes.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2009 10:06:31 AM
Author:rainierinspring
Could someone explain the difference between a chunky cushion and a modern cushion?
The lower half facet length. Short lower halves will produce chunky, long lower halves will produce modern.

4 vs 8 main has absolutely nothing to do with it either and neither does "cushion brilliant" or "cushion modified brilliant" as either can be chunky or modern.

I thought if a GIA report said cushion brilliant, it would be the chunky style. I must be missing something.....
20.gif
If you had all the facet measurements or better yet a Helium/Sarin 3d scan that would be sufficient for at least determining the facet design. But then once you''ve determined facet design there is the issue of light performance. Not all chunky faceted cushions reflect/refract light with the same efficiency.

Quite a few elements enter the equation when hunting cushions and if there is one thing I have learned is there is no good crystal ball. :) Every manufacturer we ask "How does it look?" to responds "It''s beautiful!". LOL

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Jon, for the explanation. I''ve been searching for that answer for a while too.
25.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2009 11:27:12 AM
Author: DiamondFlame
Thanks Jon, for the explanation. I''ve been searching for that answer for a while too.
25.gif
Not a problem. Not to throw another monkey wrench at this issue but I don''t think most folks here are aware of the fact that a chunky faceted cushion can also have a crushed ice appearance. I had a BUNCH of chunky faceted cushions sent in from a cutter who specializes in cushions cut with short lower havles (all chunky) however their light performance varied per their proportion factors. Some gave off the bold flash we often associate with chunkies while some had that watery crushed ice effect under the table. Our most recent featured clip demonstrates this rather plainly.

Peace,

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone! I wish this were easier!
40.gif
It would be great to see different types in person, but unfortunately I don''t have that option where I live. I''m afraid that when I am really ready to start looking for my diamond I won''t know exactly what I should be asking for.....I guess I''ll just have to keep studying on PS!
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I understand ranieri. Believe me when I tell you, if there were a crystal ball one could peer into and see facet structure, light performance, structural integrity, and all the elements that make for the best I''d have it.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results