shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Courses - Colored Stone Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
So, I''m dying to enroll in some GIA courses, the first one that I was looking to take was "Colored Stone Essentials", but after reading the course information:

http://www.gia.edu/education/292/gia_distance_education__ajp__colored_stone_essentials.cfm

It looks like this is a course for a salesman, not someone who''s interested in the stones themselves. This is a prerequisite for the other more advanced courses dealing with colored gems.

Has anyone taken this or other courses from GIA through their distance / online program? Did you enjoy them, and find them worthwhile?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A long time ago before it was called "Distance Education" I took the GIA correspondence courses. They were very informative and worthwhile. I also enjoyed doing them. I later became a resident colored stone and gem identification instructor at GIA in Santa Monica. In my opinion any education is worthwhile. It is up to you what you are going to do with it. Like they say, "You get out of it what you put into in." For a good gemologist the education is ongoing because you never know it all.

Happy New Year to all of you from all of us at Whiteflash.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
TooMuchInformation:

Looks to me that GIA has recently added "Essentials" courses to both the Colored Stones and Diamonds programs...I know when I did my GG by distance about 5 years ago they did not exist.

Also, I think you are correct - these "Essentials" courses are aimed at the biz and not gemology, and if they are now prereq's for the Diamonds and Colored Stones programs, you will just have to suck it up/pay up and do them first.

I think the GIA GG written materials are full of good info, but you really learn your stuff with the hands on diamond grading and colored stone identification - especially at the extension courses - they are loads of fun too!

Good luck!

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree that you learn a great deal with hands on extension or resident classes but it sure helps to know what the instructor is talking about and it also helps if you know what you are looking at.

I have instructed classes where all except one has read the lesson material and that one dumbo is asking basic questions and holding the others back from advancing their knowledge.

Read and understand the material then move on to the next chapter. Move quickly. You can easily do a chapter or more a day.

If you want to make it a career choice, try to be the best gemologist not just another gemologist.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm really looking forward to enrolling in my first course as soon as I have the time to get it all organized and such.

Although I think it would make a very interesting career, I think that I'll hold off for the time being.
1.gif
I have lots to learn, and we'll see how enjoyable I find the courses. A break from "computer work" would be nice though.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results