shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Certs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
When the "X" on the color grading scale of a GIA cert is located more to the right or left rather than in the middle of the "box".. does that mean that the color is more toward the higher or the lower end of that particular color grade... In other words, if the X in the G box is located toward the F.... Does that mean it is a higher quality G... or is a G a G no matter where the X is in the box....
Abbott

abbott

Shiny_Rock
OK... I know you guys are extremely intelligent about grading diamonds... Please reply...

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I have no clue-but I''d love to hear an answer!

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I''d like to know the answer too.... Somebody please respond... Thanks !!! ABBOTT

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
So, how do they decide when it is "iffy?" Isn''t that the most subjective part of grading??

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
It''s probably like inserting a document in a typewriter (remember those?!!) and not getting the "X" is the center of the blank space.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, that wine really has you in a forceful mode. ImaGem technology is able to grade accurately to 1/3 of a GIA colorless color or near colorless grade; high, medium and low, but one is left still with diamonds that would cross over to a split grade such as Low F/High G. There is no getting around such a situation and no one will be pleased with it. Anyone who gets a low F won't want to pay for F color when it still is a GIA F. Would they prefer to pay a G price? I'd bet that's exactly what would happen, and no dealer would stand for it. We could divide the richer colors into more partial grades than 3 in each grade. Maybe this will be important when we grade fancy color diamonds, but we are not at that point quite yet. Certainly there is room for 5 or even 10 degrees of fancy color range in a scientific system geared for marketing and defining FANCY color diamonds. Colorless and near coloress diamonds are well enoughdefined by GIA grading. It is tough enough for all of us. The placement of the "X" is accidental.

We'd be making losers, in each color grade, of perfectly nice diamonds with partial division classifications.

Who would want a low D if they were simply paying for a GIA D? We need to be sensible in what we offer as information. Sometimes, too much information is just too much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results