shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Certification

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dabrc

Rough_Rock
Great information here. I wish I knew of this site before I purchased the ring.

Anyway, I have a question and would appreciate any information.

The ring and stone (Diamond - .78, g-h, VS2) did not come with any certification (from GIA or otherwise). However, it was appraised by someone who claimed to be a member of the GIA, as these initials were after her name.

Is it possible to validate her designation anywhere? Should I even bother, as I am happy with the ring and stone.

I thought about getting another appraisal done by GemScan just for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.

(I now can look at the engagement stories and get some ideas :) )

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
The ring and stone (Diamond - .78, g-h, VS2) did not come with any certification (from GIA or otherwise). However, it was appraised by someone who claimed to be a member of the GIA, as these initials were after her name.
----------------

Most probably she's Graduated Gemologist - GG GIA. You can call GIA to verify it.

----------------
I thought about getting another appraisal done by GemScan just for peace of mind.
----------------

You can of course. Just keep in mind that appraisal is not the same as grading. Your stone should be unset to be graded accurately.

----------------
(I now can look at the engagement stories and get some ideas :) )
----------------

That would be great :)

sjc22175

Rough_Rock
Similar to other posts, I have a 1.05 G/VS2 diamond w/ no current certification or appraisal. Is there a reputable company that I can trust for certification? I ultimately would like it certified under GIA specs. Is that possible? Thanks for the help!

SJC

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
It may be good for you guys to know that GIA gem lab does not certify or appraise diamonds nor certify people in the trade.

GIA is a hallmark of Integrity and service to trade.
GIA "cerificate" you are reffering to should be understood as a report and GIA "certified" gemmologist should be understood as graduate of GIA education. For more information about this go to www.gia.edu.

My personal opinion is if you allready own a diamond you don't need to go thorough the trouble sending it to GIA ,.. An appraisal done by qualified GIA graduate will do just fine. If you however wish to know the correct grade of your diamond for whatever reason it may be, the stone needs to be submited loose by a member of trade.

Above mentioned alternative gem labs did not yet earned the reputation GIA has in the industry. The most trusted in the industry are GIA and HRD for diamond grading The rest is being used as sellers labs , this means that the seller is hoping to get a better grade for a diamond so it is easy to sell for premium.

George
GLE Gem Imports

:))

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
GIA's Gem Trade Lab does accept stones from consumers.

You can call them at 800-421-7250 for details.

I disagree with the remark that left of the AGS lab. AGS is a credible lab too.

But most of the labs don't provide ALL the information about a stone. Read comparing the labs on my site for more information about this.

Rockdoc

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I agree AGS is credible lab too, just not as widely used in trade,..
I just don't have any experience with colored diamond grading by AGS.
GIA is the only lab that is trusted in this field 100%
I like the way the AGS reports are done on colorles diamonds.

George
GLE Gem Imports

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results