shape
carat
color
clarity

Gia certificate states the stone is "ideal" cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering if the diamond is "ideal" cut, does the GIA certificate say so anywhere on there? I at my mother''s H&A GIA certificate and I don''t think I see it. So, I was wondering if you''re just supposed to know by the EX polish and symmetry or ?????

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA do not like the term and will not use it.

They believe, as do I, that there is a very wide range of diamond proportions with good performance, and that crown and pavilion, table sizes and minor facets must all be considered.

EX EX means nothing concerning propotions and you get didly squat off a GIA cert

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
You're not sleeping yet?!
eek.gif

Thank you for the reply. So, how do we determine if a stone is an ideal cut when we decide to buy a diamond that does not display hearts and arrows?

BTW, I've used the ideal scope and it is AWSOME!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/26/2004 5:55:54 AM Leota wrote: So, how do we determine if a stone is an ideal cut when we decide to buy a diamond that does not display hearts and arrows?
----------------

Er... call a non-round (and non Regent) "ideal" ?
sad.gif

Sorry to pop in... I guess this Q is anatema on PS, but I surely hope someone can get rid of that pesky pattern and still get a decent RBC. Long thread to come...
2.gif

So, here's my version of the heresy:
If I understand it well, any RBC with precise symmetry will display something lookig like harts and arrows, and the closer you get to whatever proportions produce great light return, the more "by the book" the pattern is. If "ideal" is just a stone with the most light (within a set of combinations of whatever optical effects one wants to consider), than the "perfect" (by current definition, NB) H&A is neither sufficinent nor necessary for acheiving it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
hey Leota if the stone has a great look in an ideal-scope it will be ideal cut.

Some times the proportions will be not those that are accepted by the AGS system, but that is a failing of the current AGS system. (they will fix it one day)

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
"Ideal" cut is simply a marketing term.

The short answer is, it is "Ideal Cut" when a salesman decides it is....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results