shape
carat
color
clarity

gia certed g si2 vs h si1 stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
I am having the hardest time deciding on what stone to purchase. HELP!!! Unfortunately my engagement ring of 14 years was stolen recently. It was a 3.01 ct round - supposedly (according to the last appraiser) I color. I found a fabulous I SI1 eye clean larger stone with nearly ideal proportions GIA cert. My problem is ...it appears alittle yellow to me.. It is set in platinum. I can still return it, so I''d like alittle advice. My current choices are a 3 ct H si1 ideal cut or a 3ct G si2 ideal cut. Both are GIA certed and both are online so I cannot view at the same time. I don''t want to trade a fabulous large I color ring for a smaller ring with more flaws and a few thousand extra dollars. I am the only one who notices the color. Everyone else is wowed by the brilliance and the size (near 3.5 cts). I think an H would be fine but I am wondering whether it will look any whiter than my I. Any advice ...Thanks.
tongue.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
All I's are not created equal. I viewed a 3c "I" that had some yellow body color face up. My 3c I (set in platinum) has no yellow hue. I could suppose lots of things. But, my stone has med/strong blue fluor. It probably is the reason why the stone faces up so white. If you go I - go w/ one w/ med/strong blue fluor.

When you are talking about large stones, the color becomes more of a "call" in the GHI colors.

Also, a stone w/ a very good make is going to face up much "whiter". What are the proportions of the 3.5 I stone. Do you have the crown & pavillion % or angles? Is this an insurance settlement? If it is don't settle unless you are satisfied.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Sooooo sorry for you loss!
sad.gif

Color is graded table down/cutlet up in the "body" of the diamond. Each color grade has a range. Your first diamond could have been a "high" almost H color while the new diamond might be a "lower" almost J color.

F&I made a good point about the addition of Blue Flour. An I or J color diamond with Blue Flour will appear whiter than an exact duplicate with out Blue Flour. Blue counter balances "yellow" to produce a whiter effect.

CUT could be an issue as well. While the proportions were reported on the Cert as being nearly Ideal, you really need a Sarin or OGI to accurately determine the quality of the CUT.

Size, type, location, and color of inclusions would be the determining factors in choosing the right SI1 in any carat size range. Inclusions are more of an issue in larger diamonds than smaller stones. Get copies of Cert plots and discuss the inclusions with the Vendor.

If this is an insurance settlement, definitely make sure YOU are happy. Even though everyone else says they love the new ring, ultimately YOU have to be happy and satisfied. If you are uncomfortable, then take that puppy back and wait to find THE diamond that knocks your socks off.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Important to note that proportions on a GIA report do not quote ideal or cut or anything. You need more information than just a GIA cert to determine if the cut is ideal.

If the color concerns you..it may still do so over time...you may not be happy with that. Is it more about what others think or what you think? Many people can't see color as well as others....but bottom line is its your stone and you need to do what will make you happiest with it in the long run. It won't 'get whiter' to your eye--maybe look for a larger I with med fluor as the others noted..it will help.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't get the SI 2... At this size, most probably inclusions will be eye-visible...
As for the H vs. I... I don't think many will notice the difference... But is the faint yellow of the I stone gonna drive you crazy and bother you over the time?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Advice.... 2ct D-F, VS ?How does this sound? Or a 3ct, H-I SI Eight Star, since, suposedly, the reflective cut makes the stone appear whiter. Why on earth accept anything worse than what you had? the only important judge is you, I would say.
11.gif
12.gif

Besides, why let that thief run away with your pleasure of owning the best too?

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the reply. I never really thought about the color of my original engagement ring - which I now know is a good thing. I believe that my ring must have been at least an H color. I have looked at 3-5 I color stones and each time I thought they were yellowish. I guess I need atleast an H. I just was trying to figure out if an H will look different enough to add the extra money and go down almost 1/2 carat.

The gia cert does not have any pavillion angles, etc. The depth is 60.3 and the table is 58 , polish and symmetry both VG . The stone looks incredible 85% of the time. The other 15% it looks slightly yellow and almost glassy. I will start looking again. Thanks for the help. regards,.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I don't have pavillion angles as they are not on the GIA cert. The GIA info is as follows:

depth 60.3%
table 58%
polish and symm VG/VG
culet - none
no flour.

9.78. 9.82.5.91
I color si1

The stone looks great in daylight or regular lighting. It starts to look alitlle yellowish when not in direct light - also it looks alittle glassy. I don't know if that is because it is a large stone or what??? I think I need to look at some H's. I don't want to go down lower than 3ct so it will have to be a SI1 - which I am totally ok with as long as it is eye clean. The two stones I am thinking about are 3.01 and 3.07 H SI1's. Both supposedly eye clean. The 3.01 is 60.9/54 G/VG no flour thin-med girdle.The 3.07 is 59.2/60 VG/VG faint flour., med girdle. The larger stone is about 1000. more. They are both on line and I have to buy to look at which is a pain but still less $$ than local vendors. Any advice on the 2 H's above.

I appreciate your reply. My husband thinks I am bordering on insanity. He wants to be done with this already. I want something I can live with forever. Regards,

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You are really not going to notice much color dif. between H & I. Perhaps a really great H & a really bad I.

Regardless, get what you want & in the end are happy with.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
steph if you dont mind me asking..whats your budget...maybe we can help you surf around and look for stones
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Steph~
wavey.gif

Buying to look is really not much of a hassle. I previewed 2 White Flash ACA's to make my selection. I shipped both diamonds back, WF set the one I selected and promptly refunded the purchase price of the diamond I did not choose. Just be sure to call for a Return Authorization prior to sending a diamond back to the vendor.

Look for a vendor with a 7 to 10 day, no questions asked, return policy. Most of the vendors here are really great about honoring returns. They know this is a subjective purchase and ultimately the customer has to be happy with the diamond they select.

Another option for you is shipping direct to an independent appraiser for evaluation prior to purchase. White Flash, Good Old Gold, Nice Ice, USA Certed, and many others will do this for you. The vendor ships the diamond to an approved appraiser and you don't pay the vendor for the diamond if you aren't satisfied with the reports. The appraiser will give you honest information and even email you pics to help you decide. Rich Sherwood, Dave Atlas, and Roc Doc are 3 appraisers that have very good feedback in the Forum and lend their expert advise regularly. There is a PS approved list of appraisers that you can access by clicking on the link above. You may even find an approved appraiser in your area.
1.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I think that if you see a bit color in an I color than you should not get it!! It will haunt you later,Why don't you make an extra effort($$$)and get a better color g.i.a only! Also I might suggest that you can drop to a 2.80-2.99 in a better color and get the same look and for the same or less $$$.
Do more
read.gif
on the web in different websites and see who gives you the beast deal for youe buck!!

good luck
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/3/2003 11:15:59 PM diamondsman wrote:

Why don't you make an extra effort($$$)and get a better color g.i.a only!

good luck
1.gif
----------------

Just curious, Diamondsman, but why are you plugging GIA ONLY???

AGS is also extremely/equally reputable and some excellent values can be found in properly graded EGL diamonds.
confused.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Mara is correct. We could help you in your search if you give us more parameters.

Also, I'm a bit confused. Was the diamond insured? What kind of settlement are you getting? A fixed cash settlement or replacement.

I'm not trying to be nosey; but, your insurance company may be taking advantage of you.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
fire and ice

Insurance company was fabulous. They paid in full. I would like to look at several stones at a time and then select the one I like best. To get stones on line, I need to pay for all of them up front. I understand the refund policies but for the stones I am looking at....I cannot pay for more than one at a time. I have looked at the 2 local jewelers (who were moderately helpful) and did not find anything I liked. I did like the color of a G stone I saw but it was SI2 and I don't want anything that included. I only want a GIA or AGS stone because I need the paperwork. I appreciate the offer to help me look but right now I currently have a stone and cannot get another without returning this one. My fear is that I will return this and get a smaller H for more money that is not any nicer.

If I was guaranteed an H would not show any color, I would return mine and go for it. Aside from your comments, I have not heard from anyone else that there is a discernable difference beteween an H and and I.

Do any of the internet diamond brokers let you visit them and look at stones. I know the company I purchsed through does not. It would be worth a trip for me. I have only 2 week left to return my stone so if you know a company who does this, please let me know. Thanks for the replies...

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

I am not comfortable discussing my budget online. I am very new at this. I am looking a 3 ct. round vg cut or better probably H would really like G but probably cannot afford it. I am comfortable with an totally eye clean SI1. My stolen ring was 3.01 SI1 and was either a very white I or an H. I don't want to go smaller. I would really like to compare several diamonds at one time. Since I don't have the funds to do this, I am in quite a quandry. As I asked fire and ice before, if you know of a very reliable internet company that will let you visit and look at several diamonds, I would spend the money to travel. I am certain that I will know the one when I see it. This whole sending back and forth is a little tiresome. Thanks for your help. regards,

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The problem with visiting the stores is that they may not have the stones in *their* stock. Some vendors indeed do own their own stones. The one's listed below do. As I found in my search for my 3c, most do not carry volumes of stones in this size. To compare any smaller between colors wouldn't really translate to a 3c.

As for visiting the sites, I know Whiteflash (Texas), NiceIce (?), Good Old Gold (Long Island, NY), Diamond Brokers of Florida, Dirt Cheap Diamonds (DC area), all have physical locations & allow you to view stones. There may be more - I just don't know. Problem is your distance from any one of them.

So, from what you said you insured your stone for x amount & that is what they paid you. I know hindsight is 20/20; but, with your new stone make sure you have every bit of specs on it. You may have underinsured.

As I said, I's can be tricky. I did not see alot of yellow hue in the one I stone; but, enough to bother me. Also, why don't you consider having the stone independently appraised by one of the appraisers listed on PS. At least this will give you piece of mind.

And just one other thing to consider, when you see the "yellow" are you in a tan room? Are you wearing Khaki? The diamond will somewhat reflect the surroundings.

Also, the warmer color stones will be just that "warmer" in incandecent low level lighting.

The bottom line is that you have to be comfortable with what you have. It doesn't matter what other people think - It's your eyes. Quite frankly, I don't like the stark white icey ness of a big D diamond. But, then we have few to none overhead lights & no florescent lights in the house - gives me a headache. Your eyes may like the bright lights & bright colors.

Good luck. A 3c stone is not something one buys everyday. Hopefully, you will not have to revisit your situation. You have every right to be pleased.

But, no one can answer that question except you. BTW, some people are more sensitive to color differences.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results