shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA cert on a heat treated diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw a GIA cert for a cushion diamond that was listed as a "F" color, but with a note stating that it was heat treated. First time I have seen that, I didn''t know GIA would cert something like that, but shows what I know, which is very little. I was just surprised.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA did a very controversial deal with GE in 1999 when GE released ''bleached'' High Pressure High Temp treated type II brown diamonds onto the market.
The deal was GE would help GIA understand the process and learn to detect the stones.
They are sold as ...duh ...mind has gone blank!!!
"Bellataire" which is engraved on the girdle.
Most are fancy shaped, and high clarity.

Some said GIA were opening the gates of Hell.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope there's a discount there ! "Betterthandiamond" sells these along with their sims - you might want to check prices.

HPHT is harsher with diamond prices than heating is to sapphire. And, well, I don't think one could roast a duck along with diamond "heating" - it would become cosmic dust instead of dinner
20.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2005 4
6.gif
4:31 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Some said GIA were opening the gates of Hell.
while others said the gates where already open... they where just made a little wider

Maybe.

shasha

Rough_Rock
Yes, I''ve seen those "Bellataire" diamonds here. And boy, they are still expensive like any untreated diamond.

Personally, I''ve not encountered friends/acquaintance who have bought these stones.

But is it "right" for GIA to certify these stones? The heat treatment improve sthe colour specs after the treatment and its just not pure anymore.
face10.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2005 6:10:11 AM
Author: shasha

But is it 'right' for GIA to certify these stones?
Is it right for you ?

... David Atlas had some words of wisedom about the value of these things (link)
34.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They do Ana.

Conspiracy theorists might point to relationships between US institutions like GE and GIA along with Lazar Kaplan who are said to have been working co-operatively with agents for USA in Africa.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The Federal Trade Commission requires that HPHT be disclosed. GIA Grading reports state "HPHT Annealed" or "Artificially Irradiated" on their reports when this is detected, and insists that such diamonds be laser-inscribed as such. GE inscribes "GE POL" on their "Bellataire" enhanced diamonds.

Whether you believe it proceeds from Hades or not, the process remains controversial. Many view such treatment as an unnatural enhancement, like clarity enhancements (laser drilling & fracture filling).

GE's position is that they are restoring diamonds to their colorless state.

Here is a GIA Journal Article on the topic.

horsenito1

Rough_Rock
Not "HPHT Annealed", the reports indicate "HPHT processed".

magnolia

Rough_Rock
hi, i am newbie here! but i have been reading pricescope for about a year. and today i thought i would respond to this thread about bellataire diamond because i owned one of it!

i was introduced to these bellataire diamond when i wanted a slightly bigger diamond and had a budget. so now i have a RB 1.5 carat, H, VVS1, 60:60 and paid usd$9750. there wasnt many pieces to choose from, very limited.

bellataire diamonds are priced 30% lower than regular diamonds.

in this country that i live (singapore) the same diamond that i own is at least usd$15000 or more. yes, diamonds are expensive here in my country. how i wish i can buy diamonds online like you do! the online prices are amazing!

and only reputable stores carry bellataires because i understand from my jeweller that HPHT treatment are hard to detect and anyone can remove the ''bellaitaire'' inscribes at the girdle and sell it as a regular diamond. i think in singapore, only one store sells it.

the comment column in the GIA cert says: this diamond has been processed by high pressure and high temperature (HPHT) to change its colour.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2005 12:40:38 PM
Author: horsenito1
Not 'HPHT Annealed', the reports indicate 'HPHT processed'.

From GIA: "...by grading them in the lab, we were able to indicate that they were HPHT annealed on their reports (and on the diamonds themselves). Our “greater good” goal was to protect the trade and the public by protecting the integrity of all diamonds..."

Full article

My understanding is that the reports have indicated "HPHT Annealed" or "Artificially Irradiated" while the diamonds themselves have been laser-inscribed with the words "HPHT Processed," "Irradiated," or a specific registered name.

Of course, as Magnolia offers, there are variations on the themes.
1.gif

shasha

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/12/2005 6:20:28 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 5/12/2005 6:10:11 AM
Author: shasha

But is it ''right'' for GIA to certify these stones?
Is it right for you ?

... David Atlas had some words of wisedom about the value of these things (link)
34.gif
Thanks for the link, Ana.
Such decision is judgemental. At the end of the day, it would be up to the purchaser to decide and for enjoy wearing the stone.

Hi Magnolia. Do you think you could post a pic of your Bellataire?
16.gif

magnolia

Rough_Rock
hi sha sha, sure i could. it looks like any other diamond. i dont have a well taken pic. this pic my friend has taken for me is a little blue, i dont know why.

DSCN8324.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty to me...I like the blue style of your picture..romantic.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2005 4:41:50 PM
Author: magnolia
hi sha sha, sure i could. it looks like any other diamond. i dont have a well taken pic. this pic my friend has taken for me is a little blue, i dont know why.
Despite the blue tinge to the photo which looks kinda cool anyway, your ring and diamond look absolutely beautiful.

I don''t have a problem with heat treating diamonds as long as it''s permanent and the treatment is disclosed. After all, many lovely gemstones are routinely heat treated - rubies, tanzanite etc - and most people couldn''t care less. Why should diamonds be any different?

As far as having them certificated, I think that''s a good thing. A cert just tells you what all the characteristics of a gemstone are - it doesn''t tell you if it''s beautiful or politically correct.

magnolia

Rough_Rock
hey thanks! i love my ring too! hehe. i just got a better picture taken, i hope.

well, i absolutely have no problems with bellataires. it''s GIA certified and the cost is much lower, like 30% or more. if not, my husband will never be able to afford a 1.5 carat for me. i am definately going for bellataires if i need more diamonds.

IMG_0583.JPG

shasha

Rough_Rock
30.gif
Woah! Its a stunner, Magnolia!!! Enjoy wearing it, I''m sure you don''t need a torch light now since you have one on your finger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results