shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA cert'', numbers are already etched in the girdle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BB_Mike

Rough_Rock
I am shopping for a ~1ct diamond engagement ring. My preference is to buy locally and I am wanting a diamond with VS clarity and D,E,F color.

I've been to four places and have narrowed it down to these two mostly on customer service and the cut/appearance to my naked eye.

1.) VS1 clarity, F color, ideal cut, GIA cert, price is $8000 (simple white-gold solitair band)

2.) VS2 clarity, G color, ideal cut, EGL cert, price is $8300 (simple white-gold solitair band)

The no brainer is to go with #1, right? Well, that vendor says it is an extra "step" to laser etch the GIA certification number into the girdle of the stone. If he can add this after the fact, that leaves room for him swapping a diamond and just laser etching one similiar to it and giving me that one?!? What's you take on it? I don't want to have to pay for an extra certification, much less wait for it.

I will be going back to each to review other parameters of the cut. What are three other details I should consider that might make the EGL worth it's $300 higher pricetag?

Thanks! wonderfull site you have giong here.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, neither GIA nor EGL uses the term "ideal cut", so who is labeling them as such? GIA stones are usually the ones with the premium, and in this case it is both a better cut AND clarity AND cheaper? Something doesn''t seem right here. Do you have all the measurements from the cert so you can see for yourself if they are both "ideal" cuts?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
While GIA doesn''t use the term "Ideal" for cut grade, EGL USA does, I believe.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

I felt like this when I started to look for my upgrade.

What it came down to was this:

If you do not trust your jeweller to be honest in their dealings with you, then you have the wrong jeweller.

You need an appraisal when you get the ring ''into your hand'' (so to speak) anyway so that is your best guarantee once you make your purchase that nobody made a mistake, because mistakes however rare] can happen.

But before you get to that stage if you feel so suspicious of your jeweller, perhaps you should keep looking untill you feel more comfortable?

There are lots of highly recommended vendors here if you need some options...

BB_Mike

Rough_Rock
Seems I can''t just edit my original post.
I apologize for the "ideal cut" . I did not write that information down. I will get it ASAP.

But my original question still applies: Do GIA certified diamonds get the serial numbers etched onto them upon inspection?

And if not, then what stops any vendor from sending you "X" diamond with "Y" certification document?? The gentleman selling it is nice, and came referred by another customer. I"m just a logical, buyer beware, kind of person. The EGL cert'' vendor said the nubmer is already engraved.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 9:39:15 PM
Author: BB_Mike

Seems I can't just edit my original post.
I apologize for the 'ideal cut' . I did not write that information down. I will get it ASAP.

But my original question still applies: Do GIA certified diamonds get the serial numbers etched onto them upon inspection?
The process is called inscription (or laser inscription). The only diamonds that GIA automatically inscribes are those accompanied by a Diamond Dossier report, since it does not have a plotting diagram. They will inscribe other diamonds at the request of the sender. Frequently the sender will request the GIA report number, a logo (if the diamond is sold under a brand) or even a special request like "Joanie loves Chachi."

Laser inscription can be done by anyone who has the equipment. Inscribing after the lab is considered a thorny issue by some, because a diamond that's inscribed after it leaves the lab now has an extra element on it and the report no longer matches 100%: Any inscription is usually noted in the comments section of the grading report.

And if not, then what stops any vendor from sending you 'X' diamond with 'Y' certification document?? The gentleman selling it is nice, and came referred by another customer. I'm just a logical, buyer beware, kind of person. The EGL cert' vendor said the nubmer is already engraved.

A loose diamond can be matched up in a number of ways. The simplest is using the clarity plot on the grading report, which serves for the vast majority of diamonds in common clarities and can usually be demonstrated by a gemologist or competent jeweler with a microscope - even if the diamond is mounted.

For the record, diamond swapping is unheard-of among reputable vendors. It would be business-suicide and destroy a rep that took years to earn. Still, if you are concerned you can always involve an independent appraiser in the transaction. This will protect you decisively.

GIA Report Formats:
http://www.diamondcut.gia.edu/07_gia_grading_reports.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results