shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA and Sarin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hope

Rough_Rock
With all the great information on this site, I set out to find an emerald cut stone, 1.5-2 carats, that approached the ideal cut. I haven't found any yet; but saw a stone the other day that I thought was very lovely with nice brilliance.

G(looked better than some F's), 2.04 carats, VS1, no culet, no fluorescence; polish and symmetry Very good. l/w was only 1.20, but that proportion was fine. Stone had a needle off center and a cloud on the side.

There was a discrepancy in the Sarin, though, that leaves me a bit uncomfortable; and a few things I just did not understand. Could I ask for some of your expert opinions on the stone, asking price, and discrepancies?

Depth on GIA, 63.6; on Sarin, 63.1
Table on GIA, 67.0; on Sarin, 71.3

Girdle/GIA, Thick-Vthick; 4.3 on Sarin.

Cr. Angle 41.2-39.7
Cr. Height 10.4-10.2
Pav. Angle 52.3-52.8
Pav. Depth 48.6-48.7

Also, the Topdown graph on the Sarin listed the table as 0.6%. What does this mean compared to the two table measures listed above?

The asking price is $14,000. Should the larger table on the Sarin (done after price was stated) have any effect on price?

Thanks again for all the help! Hope

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can not tell you why the table discrepency is so large.
The depth % is within tolerance as Sarin mesures angles and constructs meet points - not the best way to measure 'sizes', but the best method for angles.

But frankly trying to use a sarin report to predict fancy cut quality is beyond my abilities.

With a little practice you will get a far better idea for comparison purposes with an ideal-scope from www.ideal-scope.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The diamond reads like it ought to be reasonably well cut. Cutters are not fools. They tend to make the most of the material they have to work with in each stone. It is always best to shop and compare BEFORE you buy.

We have a Sarin and 2 Megascopes. The table measurement on rectangular and square cut stones often disagrees with GIA or other reports and sometimes we physically measure the tables and find that there are issues with the accuracy on table measurment. Sometimes our machines are right and other times somebody else's machines are more correct. It makes us concerned, but not overly so.

The way a diamond looks with the Ideal-Scope is certainly a good way to compare similar cut diamonds to see if one performs better. That's why we sell the I-S as well as assist people with cut grading on fancy shapes.

hope

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your replies. :))

I have one more question on the Sarin, though.

The "Topdown" graph lists the table as .6%.

What is this a measure of?

Hope

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No idea what that .6% means

hope

Rough_Rock
I was so curious about that measurement,I decided to call the Sarin company to see if someone there would explain it to me.

And they did.

The two Topdown Graphs measure how off center the table and culet are.

For the table, he said anything under 1% is acceptable. Since the culet measure on this diamond was 0%, I didn't think to ask him if there was an acceptable range.

I'm still not to sure what to do with this stone. Part of me wants to take it -- it really is lovely -- and part of me doesn't want to jump in until I've seen something better to compare it with. I've been looking at lots of diamonds, and so far, this is the only one, outside of a gorgeous 2 carat E at Tiffany's (which is staying there), I'd consider. Maybe I just need to do more looking. I guess it's a nice dilemma to have!

Thanks again! Hope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results